cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting a job, what effect does this have?

travesty
Level 3
I'm trying to clean up Backup Exec 12.5.  I have some jobs created by policies and some that aren't.  A symantec rep seemed to hint that policies are better than just creating jobs.  So I want to delete the individual jobs and create policies for these jobs.  If I delete the individual jobs, can I still restore the information that was backed up by these jobs?  Are there any other side effects of deleting a job?
3 REPLIES 3

chicojrman
Level 6
If you delete the jobs and then you want to restore them you only option i think would be to Restore teh entire BE dB. As far as restoring the information that i'm not sure of.

MitchR
Level 6
@chicojrman: nonsense!

Deleting the job only prevents you from running that job again the the future.  If you're recreating it with a policy, then of course you'll want to delete the old jobs.

You can restore any backup from any tape at any time.  If you happen to lose the catalogs for the data on that tape, it's a simple process to re-catalog it.  (on the tape do a Right-Click, Catalog)  That has nothing at all to do with the Job or Policy.

bjash
Level 4
I agree with MitchR.  This is the whole point of a backup (especially in a disaster recovery scenario): being able to restore the data without ever having knowledge of the backup job.  You can restore it on any system with BE installed on it (you just have to inventory and catalog (if the catalog doesn't exist or you're restoring on a different system).