cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell PowerVault 124T AutoLoader / BE 10.0 Rev 5484

Cary_Shultz
Level 2
Good evening!

Quick question: has anyone had a problem installing a Dell PowerVault 124T (read: IBM Ultrium III) with Backup Exec 10.0?

Here is the environment: running Windows Server 2003 SP1 Enterprise version and Backup Exec 10.0 Rev 5484 SP2 (I know that SP4 is out...). SQL2000 is also running on this system. Backups are currently fine using the Ecrix VXA-2 and the appropriate media. However, client wants an Auto Loader as the tape swapping every night is getting old (and sometimes forgotten).

Just installed a Dell PowerVault 124T Autoloader. Backup Exec is not seeing it as a robotic library. Contacted Dell Support. After 45 minutes of making sure that everything was correct - as best we can tell - it was suggested that upgrading to Backup Exec 10D is the solution.

Second Question:

I have read in this forum that for some people this upgrade goes just fine while for others it goes not so fine! I have also read that the license issue is quite laborious. Is there any truth to both of these?

I do not want to 'break' a perfectly fine setup. There are two other servers that will be backed up (so, a total of three) to this Auto Loader once it is installed.

I appreciate everyone's comments.

Thank you,

Cary Shultz
2 REPLIES 2

Cary_Shultz
Level 2
Installing Backup Exec 10D (and both Service Packs) resolved the problems. The initial upgrade from 10.0 to 10D was seemless and took about 10 minutes....including the reboot. Everything is as it should be now and I can configure the AutoLoader for use...

Just wanted to update everyone.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Upgrade resolved the issue.