cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differential Backups

Armin
Level 3
 I am currently using a differential backup system but would like to know a little bit more about it.

I have it set up as follows:

Monday:  Differential
Tuesday:  Differential
Wednesday:  Differential
Thursday:  Differential
Friday:  Full Back-up

My question is this, I have a total of 5 tapes.. technically i should have six for this backup so i have a full backup on hand at all times.  With the differential will Tuesday back-up everything different from the full (Friday) or will it back-up everything different from the monday differential.  This is very important as i need to known when i restore do i restore the full back-up and the last differential or do i restore the full back-up and all differentials?  Or is there a better method i should be using.  I am using Veritas Backup Exec. 9.0.

Thanks for all your help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

THarry
Level 5
 That is correct.

For example, you do:

Say on Thursday your system got messed up and you had to do a complete restore, you will need the last Full, and Wednesdays differential.

Now if you do:

Monday:  Incremental
Tuesday:  Incremenetal
Wednesday:  Incremenetal
Thursday:  Incremenetal

Say on Wednesday your system got messed up and you had to do a complete restore, you will need the last Full, Mondays and Tuesdays incrementals.

Harry

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

THarry
Level 5
Hello Armin,

This solution will back everything that has changed since the last full.
An incremental will backup everything since the last incremental or Full.

Harry

Armin
Level 3
 So to get this straight... for me to do a restore I only need the full and the last differential to do a complete restore?

Armin

THarry
Level 5
 That is correct.

For example, you do:

Say on Thursday your system got messed up and you had to do a complete restore, you will need the last Full, and Wednesdays differential.

Now if you do:

Monday:  Incremental
Tuesday:  Incremenetal
Wednesday:  Incremenetal
Thursday:  Incremenetal

Say on Wednesday your system got messed up and you had to do a complete restore, you will need the last Full, Mondays and Tuesdays incrementals.

Harry