cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster Recovery Question

Phillip_Vong
Level 2
I just got V10 and just started using Veritas Backup Exec. Before I read through the whole manaul, I thought I would just ask the question here first. Please forgive a newbie for asking a stupid question.

I have a very simple network with 3 servers.

SRV1 = Win 2003 running DC/DNS/DHCP
SRV2 = Exchange 2003
SRV3 = Win 2003 as SQL/File server

I use Veritas Exec 10 and I backup everything every night.

If I were to buy 3 additional servers and named it the same and with all the same information as the production server, do you think I can just retore from my backup tapes on these backup servers with no problem? I will litterally call everything the same as the production servers and I'll even use the same set of IPs.

Even crazier scenerio. Would it work if I just got 1 new server and loaded it up with RAM and ran VMware? Storage is not an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Phil
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
1) as long as the machines are similar enough to require all the same drivers, should work fine

2) Dunno, you'll have to wait for someone else on this one

Hawk37
Not applicable
Using VMWare you do not have to have a 1:1 and hardware does not have to be exact. You can have your vm sessions at your DR site ready to go with the BE agents installed.

Phillip_Vong
Level 2
Hawk37 - Thanks for the reply.

Have you actually tested the VM solution to see if your restore items to your DR site using different hardware?

Phillip_Vong
Level 2
Using VMWare, I was able to retore the files fairly easily without having the same hardware.