cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk to Disk to Tape setup.

Steven_Huang
Level 2
Hello,

I am currently in the process of migrating our company from EMC Legato Networker 7.3 to Veritas Backup Exec 10d.

Our current setup is as follows:
20+Severs (File servers and 1 Exchange server)

Backup Server is:
Dell Poweredge 2650
With a 4TB power Vault (partitioned into 2 TB drives)
And a Quantum M1800 Tape backup library.

What I am looking to do is perform a "Disk to Disk to Tape" backup scenario.

So far I can backup to the disk array, or I can backup to tape, but nothing with the proper flow. Essentially when i backup to the disk array it creates the ".bkf" file and then if I try backing up this to tape it just backs up the .bkf file to tape. I guess my point is that if I am looking to restore something from tape, it only allows me to restore the .bkf file out, and not the parsed components of that .bkf file.

Is there a way to backup the actual file contents to tape from our disk array without backing up the files in .bkf form? I know this sounds confusing, so any help would be appreciated.

Or better yet, is there a method for doing a disk to disk to tape backup scenerio?
2 REPLIES 2

Allen_Derusha
Not applicable
What you want is what BE 10d calls a "Duplicate Backup" job. You can create one manually with "File > New > Duplicate Backup Job", or use the ready-made policy that is setup when you install 10d labeled "Duplicate Backup Sets 0001". This policy is configured to help you setup a weekly full backup to disk, with daily incrementals to disk and then with weekly tape "duplicates", which are drawn from the b2d sets and can be restored directly (without restoring the .BKF first).

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Steven!

Did you find the solution provided by Allen helpful?

Please update us on this issue.

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.