cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003 Backup

Neil_Charman
Level 3
Currently in our organisation we run Exchange 2000 and recently Exchange 2003 on a clustered server setup.

We have the Exchange agent installed onto our designated backup server and when we browse to the Exchange 2000 server in BackupExec we see the standard Exchange options as follows:

Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
Microsoft Exchange Public Folders
Microsoft Information Store
Microsoft Site Replication

But when we expand out the Exchange 2003 server these options do not appear. Even if you browse to the virtual Exchange 2003 server they still do not appear. Is this agent supported for a clustered Exchange 2003 setup where the disk resource for all exchange data and mailboxes is a shared disk array between servers or do i need to configure something else in my backup setup.

Any help would be appreciated as the only way i can currently backup the Exchange 2003 data is using the windows NTBACKUP facility as the exchange options are visable in that.
4 REPLIES 4

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Neil!

Have you installed remote agents on both the nodes?

You would also require two Exchange licences.

If above is satisfied, then to make the resources visible in the backup selections,enable "Restrict Anonymous support" registry key on the Backup Exec media server and on the Exchange servers.

For this please refer to following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/238618

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.Message was edited by:
Swati Joshi

Neil_Charman
Level 3
We get the Exchange option through expanding:

Shadow Copy Components
[
User Data
[
Exchange Server
[
Microsoft Exchange Server
[
Microsoft Information Store
[
Virtual Clustered Server Name
[
First Storage Group

You only get the option to backup the whole First Storage Group not like in Exchange 2000 where you can select to backup individual mailboxes and public folders, in Windows 2003-Exchange 2003 it only seems to be an all or nothing scenario.

Can you confirm if this is correct and that you dont get the individual mailboxes backup or Public Folder Backup options when backing up Exchange 2003.

Neil_Charman
Level 3
For you information we are currently using BackupExec 9.1 and NOT version 10

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Neil!

You should be able to select, backup and restore individual mailboxes of Exchange 2003 using the Exchange agent.

Have you checked all the suggestions that i had made in the last reply?

Further , i would suggest you to check ,if the mailbox are available to the Global Address List (GAL).

Do revert back with details.

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.