cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need GRT enabled to perform differential backup of Hyper-V Virtual Machine ?

oskaremil
Level 4

I wasn't able to find a clear answer anywhere and we are currently running Backup Exec 2010 so I cannot test this for myself.

I am not interrested in GRT backups, my backups are full images without the possibility to restore single items from the image. 
(Sure, it could be great but the trade-off in longer backup jobs is a no-go)

That brings me to the questions,
a) with GRT disabled, will Backup Exec 2012 (or newer versions) be able to perform differential backup of a Hyper-V Virtual Machine image ? 
b) if yes, how will it affect backup job length ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

a) with GRT disabled, will Backup Exec 2012 (or newer versions) be able to perform differential backup of a Hyper-V Virtual Machine image ? 

--> Yes. Even when GRT option is disabled you should be able to take Differential backups of Hyper-V Virtual Machines. Its not necessary that GRT needs to be enabled.

--> This will surely reduce the time taken for backups as the time taken to collect the Meta-Data for GRT backups will now not be required. It may not affect in high number but overall it will surely reduce the time.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

a) Unlike BE 2010, BE 2012 is able to perform differential backups of Hyper-V VM's

Sagar_Walambe
Level 4
Employee

Here is the technote for What's new in Backup Exec 2012 Agent for Microsoft Hyper-V agent option.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179363

Hope this will help!

oskaremil
Level 4
Thank you, but neither really answered my question ; is GRT required to perform a differential backup for HyperV VMs?

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

--> Yes. Even when GRT option is disabled you should be able to take Differential backups of Hyper-V Virtual Machines. Its not necessary that GRT needs to be enabled.

--> This will surely reduce the time taken for backups as the time taken to collect the Meta-Data for GRT backups will now not be required. It may not affect in high number but overall it will surely reduce the time.

Thanks,

-Sush...

AshwinApte
Level 4
Employee

No, GRT is not required for performing differential backups of Hyper-V.