cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Backup Exec 12.x support Domino 8.5?

elreyjesus1
Level 3
Our Domino team needs to upgrade from Domino 8.0.1 to Domino 8.5 but I want to make sure we are going to be able to back up can you please confirm ASAP before they upgrade.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BE-Billy
Level 2
Employee Accredited
Backup Exec will be supporting Domino 8.5 with our next full release of Backup Exec which is currently planned for calendar Q4 of this year.  We will be fully embracing DAOS support as well as providing support for 32-bit Domino running on a compatible 64-bit Windows OS.

We are also gearing up for our closed BETA and are looking for customers that are running Backup Exec as well as Lotus Domino 8.5.  If you meet this criteria and are interested in participating please go to our "symbeta" site and sign up!

SymBeta

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39

JustinPerot
Not applicable

elreyjesus1,

Did your messaging team move forward with the install and were you still able to backup the mail files?  I am in the exact some predicament.  We are running BUE12.5 and need to move our Domino environment to 8.5.   I am specifically concerned with the compatibility of the new Domino 8.5 features of DAOS-Single file instance (Domino's de-duplication tool) and the new file extensions it creates (NLO files).

Thanks, J

Message Edited by JustinPerot on 02-10-2009 10:26 AM

elreyjesus1
Level 3

You know what... that I'm still in the same predicament. These forums are not that great for getting feedback! It takes such a long time IF any.

Please if somebody has any testing experience with this, let us know.

backup exec 12.5  and Lotus / Domino 8.5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

According to the latest v12.5 SCL (date 2008-12-11), v12.5 supports Domino v7 -> v8.0.2  on NSF formated databases only, on both 32 and 64 bit OS

elreyjesus1
Level 3

Yes I've seen that and that is the official reply that I've gotten. That is pretty outdated though. So I'm still left without a fresh answer. Unless I take the initiative to build a test server and do my own tests.

I was hoping somebody would have done that. Maybe even if there was an ETA from Symantec on supporting 8.5 

elwappo
Level 3
This is rather important to people buying agents for backup exec and such.  What are the plans here to fix these issues that are surfacing against 8.5 domino servers.  An offical reply is needed by your customers.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
It has not been tested by our QA department yet, so it will not be listed on the SCL.  Support will not have any docuementation on possible issues that may arrise with 8.5.  We can give it a best effort for support ot attempt to get 8.5 to work, but at the end of the day if it does not work there will not be much we can do until our QA / Dev teams either update the agent to support 8.5 or say no it won't work.

Joji
Level 5
I am in the same boat as elreyjesus1 and elwappo. I need to know this info ASAP also . We had a lot of issues with ver 12 backing up Domino servers. I hope your QA/Dev teams has addressed these issues without the users manually tweeking the registry.

elwappo
Level 3
however this should be on someone's plate to get working asap.  Domino 8.5 is not a beta release.  It's an official release.  I'm sure that there are alot of customers that are going to hit this wall very quickly.  I know Lotus isn't the choice email system nowadays but many companies use it for their email and database platforms. 

MikeJB
Level 2

Understand what Ben L says about QA not having started testing but this is seriously delaying my companies upgrade programme and our confidence in product support.  About half our servers use another backup product which has been certified for Domino 8.5, the other half use BUExec.   Without some timeline for certification, I guess we will seriously need to consider our options concerning these servers.

Ben - Can you please advise when certification is likely?

Thanks

GypsyMage
Not applicable
 My company is also in the same boat. Any ETA on Domino 8.5 certification? IBM Domino 8.5 is already on Hotfix 3...

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Symantec don't usually announce timelines for support of new versions.
Typically you hear nothing (except maybe a comment along the lines of "it's being worked on" in the forums), then all of a sudden it's added to the Software Compatability List.

MikeJB
Level 2
Thanks Hywel for your feedback on Symantec policy.   However, I have not even managed to find a "it's being worked on" in any of the forums.    Other solution providers seem to realize that their customers need to be aware of their plans regarding application compatability.  In this respect Symantec should not be any different.... 

As I said in my original, post other back-up solution providers have provided a compatability statement (a month or so ago).   All I would like is some general indication or estimate as to when a working version of BUExec will be compatable with Domino 8.5.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Just confirmed that it is being worked on.  As Hywel stated we really don't have a time line for release.

MikeJB
Level 2
Is there any update on when the testing of Domino 8.5 will be complete and an appropriate compatibility statement released? Thanks

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Not at this time.

nia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
 Guys,

Let me ask something...Since there is no Official answer from Symantec, why YOU do not set up a LAB with Domino 8.5 Installation and let the Backup Exec to backup the test database, users etc?
By doing this, you will know if the agent is supported and if there are any obvious issues.

Since Symantec has not released any document regarding the compatibility you can either risk or just test to your own environment. Symantec seems to be serious about the performed tests. Ben, or any other Symantec employee could say that "It works and is compatible" but what would happen if the tests were not complete and you have issues after the migration?

So, my opinion is to test the environment. If it works, you could take the risk to upgrade. If it fails...Wait for a release from Symantec.

Regards,

Andrew_Langer
Level 2
just tried an inital test run.  Clean new install of Windows Server 2008 x64, clean install of Domino 8.5, clean install of BE 12.5 with all the latest patches.  Can backup other parts of the server fine but as soon as I go into the BE Job Selection section and try to select or query any drive that contains lotus database files it fails after plenty of disk activity.  The error message is something about an error was encountered while trying to browse the contents of databases, the Lotus Domino server timing out and to restart the remote agent.

elreyjesus1
Level 3
Andrew my brotha!

The Bible says:

""But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary of doing good."
2 Thessalonians 3:13

I had that problem in the past and there is a solution to it! so is a registry fix, simple.  Read below and apply it and then keep trying to back up 8.5 BUT PLEASE continue to keep us updated!!! Team effort here!! 

Issue:
Even after the Lotus notes backup agent is installed I do not see the icon for the databases on the server.

Solution:
on your domino server:

Stop backup remote agent service.  

In the registry go to:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\DOMINO  

* In registry set "Enable Notes Database Filtering" to 0 AND set  "Enable Change Journal" to 0

on your backup exec server:
*  Stop Services for Backup Exec

* In registry set "Enable Notes Database Filtering" to 0 AND set  "Enable Change Journal" to 0

Check out these references:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/301510.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/287329.htm   

AndersAslund
Not applicable
Hello!

I have successfully installed Symantec Backup 12 (not 12.5) with Domino 8.5. It seams to be working well. In our testing we have successfully resored backuped files taken from the server when it was live. Like Admin4.nsf etc.

We didnt touch any of the new features of Domino 8.5. ODS is still on old version (ODS43). Watch out for NOTES.INI parameters Create_R8_Databases=1 and/or Create_R85_Databases=1.

I had to do:
Stop backup remote agent service.
In the registry go to:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\DOMINO
* In registry set "Enable Notes Database Filtering" to 0 AND set "Enable Change Journal" to 0

Hope this info helps.

Anders