Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doesn't backup to tape library, connected to Linux Server

art_yomov
Level 3

Hi all.

I apologize for my bad English.

I have one issue with BackupExec.

I have 3 servers (you can see it on attached picture).

Data from srv3 must be copied to StoreEver connected to srv1 by FC.

BackupExec Server is installed on srv2 (that can see srv1, but can't see srv3 - network specify).

I installed BackupExec Linux Agent on srv1 and added Network Storage on Backup Exec Server Console (according to instructions). Now I have Robotic Library and Tape drive. I've done the inventory and server determined 18 Tb of storage in the library. I planned backup task, ther must copy a few folders from srv3 (mounted to srv1) to tape library. Backup finished after 5 minutes and Job Log shows me successful status of completed job. Byte Count -= 1.53 Kb. But there are about 12 Tb of data.

I don't think symantec can compress a data with such great way:)

Can you help me with my issue? Perhaps, there are some particular logs, that I can look at.

I attached a few of screenshots that can help you to understend me.

Screenshot_38.png

Screenshot_39.png

Screenshot_40.png

Screenshot_41.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Well you can try enabling the "Follow remote mount points"  option under the "Linux & Mac Options" in the jobs (it would be disabled by default)

Note these terms might be specific to one versionn of Backup Exec so you might be looking for terms similar to the above in  your settings (I don't have a RALUS setup conforgured to check the terminolgy)

If this does not work then Backup Exec is probably not a solution for your environment.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Colin_Weaver

You need to install an agent on svr3 and not try to back it up over a mount (which does of course assume that srv3 is running a supported operating system)

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you should probably be looking Enterprise Server Option with the SAN SSO license installed in order to accomplish this.

Basically the SAN SSO server controls which servers gets access to the tape library and when. However, this is for Windows environments and I don't think you can accomplish what you want to do without SAN SSO, especially with the server in question being a Linux server.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver

In therory the RMAL option (which I assume the OP is trying to use) does support a 3-way similar to NDMP option, but the 3-way does need RALUS installed on the host device that is not attached to the library and would still mean that traffic goes over the LAN, just not via the Backup Exec Server as well as the LAN.

I have a feeling an RMAL 3-way also requires that the versions of Linux are the same on all hosts as well. (If it was NDMP option the hosts would have to be from same vendor and running same OS)

art_yomov
Level 3

I can't do it.

Cause srv3 - some kind of NAS. And it can share a directory with NFS

art_yomov
Level 3

I can't catch why do I need to use any special License or software.

Colin_Weaver

Well you can try enabling the "Follow remote mount points"  option under the "Linux & Mac Options" in the jobs (it would be disabled by default)

Note these terms might be specific to one versionn of Backup Exec so you might be looking for terms similar to the above in  your settings (I don't have a RALUS setup conforgured to check the terminolgy)

If this does not work then Backup Exec is probably not a solution for your environment.

art_yomov
Level 3

Thank you!

Your advise helped me. I enabled this checkbox and tried to make backup of test data. And it was successfully made.

One more question.

How do I see the list of data were copied during the backup task? I can't find it on Job History or Job Log tabs.

Colin_Weaver

We don't recommend this as the job logs will get huge, but you can turn on detailed job logging in the Backup Exec Server settings

If only doing infrequent checks start the restroe wizard and manually review what files you can select (and then cancel the wizard if you do not need to actually do a restore.)

If trying to report then CATTOOLS.exe can be used with scripting to analyze the catalog files - however you wil need to do your own scripting.

art_yomov
Level 3

Thank you for help.