cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Jobs Hang...

George_Buerman
Level 2
Hello all! This is my first time posting in this forum. Here is my issue:

I have had BE 9.1 installed and running fine since August of last year. I have made no configurations changes, nor installed any patches with in the 2 weeks leading up to this error.

I use a Backup-to-disk folder to backup my data, then have a Duplicate job kick off on completion of the backup set to write my data to tape for off-site storage. Since 7 days ago, my duplicate jobs are hanging. It is still counting Elapsed time, but no data is being written. No alerts are generated saying anything is wrong. There is nothing in my Windows event logs saying anything is wrong. It does not happen on the same job every time. It does not happen on the same tape every time. It does not happen at the same time every night. If I cancel the hung job, everything procedes as normal and all subsequent, duplicate jobs run with no problem. I do a FULL backup every night. My full backup fills only 1 tape. I keep 7 tapes in my robotic library at all times.

I am at a loss. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

George Buerman
4 REPLIES 4

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

What is the option selected to backup the duplicate job?
a. Duplicate existing backup sets
b. Duplicate backup sets following a job

Source drive/ Is it a Backup-to-Disk folder?

Are you firing the duplicate job to a cascaded drive pool?

What is the status of the job? Is the job successful?

Also refer these technotes:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/263655

http://support.veritas.com/docs/273890

http://support.veritas.com/docs/269808

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

George_Buerman
Level 2
Shilpa,
Wow. Thanks for your quick response. Here are the answers you asked for.

They are set up to Duplicate backup sets following a job

The source drive is a Backup-to-Disk folder

I am not using a cascaded drive pool.

There is NO status of the job. It gets hung at "Loading Media"

Also, my configuration has been working fine since Aug '04. I am digging through everything trying to find out what has changed.

I will now look at your reccommended Technotes.

George

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello George,

please let us know the technote recommended by Shilpa help you.
In Addition to that we would like you to run SGmon.exe during the job and observe it as it progresses. You might get a clue from the SGmon logging.
Also make sure that the duplicate job is able to come to know that there is a target device in which there is a tape ready to be used.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

George_Buerman
Level 2
Thank you all for your help.

The three Tech Notes did not apply to my problem.

The problem was resolved when I Updated my Adaptec 39160 Host adapter driver to the latest version.

Thanks again for looking into this problem for me!

George