cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Jobs will not run, Job Status Loading Media

Tony_Shea
Level 3
Since reinstalling Win2003 & Backup Exec 9.1.4691 on my media server, any job that duplicates a disk backup to tape will not run. The job just sits there with the status "Loading Media". I was able to run duplicate jobs before the reinstall. A job that duplicates a tape backup to disk will run.

I am fairly certain that BE has been installed and configured with all the same options I had previously. The only differences I know of are:
1. My original install had SP1 and hot fixes up to 39 installed. The current installation includes hot fixes 40,42,43,45 and now SP2.
2. I had stated experimenting with using Media Sets for overwrite protection. My defaults when installing BE were for no protection.

My first thought was that my tape was in a protected media set but that's not the case. I can run backup & erase jobs directly to the tape. I have checked the Media and Device status and they seem fine. The fact that a backup to tape runs would imply the Device and Media are ok.

I have tried to duplicate disk backups of the media server's C: drive, BE backups of a remote server, and even a backup of a remote server created using Windows Backup. All just stay in the queue and display the job status of Loading Media.

I can see several threads in the 9.1 support forum that describe similar problems but no solution. One from Dec 3,2004 seems to describe exactly the same behaviour I am getting.
2 REPLIES 2

mikewoodson
Level 3
Tony,

Check to make sure your duplicates are configured properly. For example, make sure that the "preferred source device" on the general settings tab is marked with the backup to disk folder (this is the source where the duplicate job is going to copy.) Then make sure that the "Device" is the one in which the copy job is going to i.e. Dell3. Also make sure you have the correct media set selected. Hope this helps

Tony_Shea
Level 3
Mike,

Looks like it was the preferred source device. It defaults to DELL 1 (the tape drive) when I create a duplicate job.

Not sure what was there in my original install (when the duplicate jobs worked). I have no memory of changing any settings on the General propteries page but obviously there must have been a different default.

Changing it to either All Drives or the actual backup to disk folder allows the job to run.