Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate tapes issue

Skoel
Level 3

Hi,

I have a media set named tapes.

In this mediaset I have two tapes that were labeled tape6 by misstake.

Now I want to relabel one of the tapes to 18. And keep one as tape 6.

But when I do so it changes the name of both tapes.

I have tried to move both tapes to retired media and deleting them, then start over by label first tape tape 6.

But when I insert the other tape it will show up as the same.

It seems that whatever changes I do it affects both tapes. Even tough I have deleted them and erased the contents.

What am I doing wrong?

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you using barcode labels?  If you are you just have to put the correct barcode label on the correct tape.

Skoel
Level 3

I'm not using barcode labels.

It says media labels.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Delete both tapes from the library

2) remove Tape 6 from the library

3) inventory and label the other tape to Tape18.

4) put Tape6 into the library

5) inventory and, if necessary, label Tape6

--------------------------------------

As an aside, you should consider using barcode labels.  They are much more efficient operations-wise.  Read my article

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-barcode-labels-why-and-how

Skoel
Level 3

I have tried this, but when I have deleted the tapes from library and do an inventory the tape still show up as Tape 6 this time in a noneexisting mediaset called Backup Exec and Windows NT Backup Media

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is placed in that media set because it is considered an imported tape. Did you remove Tape6 from the library before you do your inventory.  List down the steps that you do.

Skoel
Level 3

This is exactly what I'm doing

1) Delete both tapes from the library by moving them to retired media and then deleting them

Now both tape 6 and 18 are missing in my tapes media set

2) I insert tape 18 and do an inventory. The tape shows up as 18 and is in the Backup Exec and Windows NT Backup Media set

3) I label the media 18 and the tape goes to the scratch media set, so I change this to the correct "Tapes" media set.

4) I eject the tape and insert tape 6

5) I inventory and the tape shows up as tape 18 (which seems wrong), I label it tape 6 which causes tape 18 to vanish from the Tapes media set.

It seems that everything I do affects both tapes.

Skoel
Level 3

On stage 2 where I inventory after deleting the tapes, shouldnt the tape show up as a scratch media? Why does it "remeber" its name?

I don't care about keeping the data, I just want the duplicate to go away without having to trash a tape.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

On stage 2 where I inventory after deleting the tapes, shouldnt the tape show up as a scratch media?

No.  It should show up in the Backup Exec and Windows NT Backup Media set since it is an imported tape.  

Why does it "remeber" its name?

When you label a tape, the label is physically written onto the tape header.

------------------------

After your sequence of actions, what happens when you put in Tape 18 and do an inventory?

Skoel
Level 3

It shows up as tape 6.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Some tape drives have write protection independent of Backup Exec...you might want to check with the vendor to confirm yes or no...

Else, you might want to debug the label operation to see whats going wrong...