cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESX 5.1 for CASO server.

shamee
Level 5

Hi,

Can i use VM (VMWare 5.1) for installing Backup Exec 2012 for using as a CASO server? Just for managing Backup Exec Servers? Thanks.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is not advisable to use ESX 5.1 because it is not supported.  If your VM has problems, then to get support you might have to prove that the problems are not due to ESX 5.1.  If you want to use ESX 5.1, wait for a while until BE 2012 SP2 which provides support for ESX 5.1 is released.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is not advisable to use ESX 5.1 because it is not supported.  If your VM has problems, then to get support you might have to prove that the problems are not due to ESX 5.1.  If you want to use ESX 5.1, wait for a while until BE 2012 SP2 which provides support for ESX 5.1 is released.

shamee
Level 5

Thanks. When will BE 2012 SP2 be relased? Also I will be using only CASO function and there wont be any backup in this server. This server will only manage BE Media servers.

Regards

pkh
   VIP    Certified

SP2 is supposed to be out in July.

shamee
Level 5

Can you give me some information on adding Backup Exec Mdia Server to CASO for management? What will be the imact on Backup Exec Server when its added to CASO? 

Regards,

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

shamee: why do you have multiple forum queries open for the same line of questioning?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/enterprise-server-option-caso

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...ask on the link below which is where you initially started your questioning...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/enterprise-server-option-caso

THanks!

teiva-boy
Level 6

Frankly, if you're not doing any backups.  Your choice of HyperVisor has ZERO bearing here.  BackupExec cannnot currently backup ESXi 5.1.  There is no practical limitation to running Windows on ESXi 5.1 and within it BackupExec's CASO option..

shamee
Level 5

thanks teiva-boy!