Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV closed partitions

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

Feel like I'm missing something obvious, so hopefully a simple query.

I have a closed email and journal partition in EV [8.0.4.1991] that I need to remove from the regular backup schedule, they will still be backed up, but only monthly.

From BE2010 R3 I expanded out the EV SITE and removed the tick from the closed partitions (there's a closed partition udner the Journal Store that's been removed form the selections as well);

Just logged on to have a look, and best I can tell, from the job progress, it's still backing up the closed partition via a SQL selection somehow?

Thought this would be as straightforward as removing the closed partition selections, but evidently I'm missing something :)

Still searching through the forums, but not spotted anything along these lines as yet, so any help appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee

From the screenshot of the detailed selection list it appears that the EV site is actually present twice:

One is showing:

EV-SIT::\\EV\xxxxxx-SQL-0001\EVSITE1\*.*/SUBDIR

The other one is:

EV-SIT::\\EV080\xxxxxx-SQL-0001\EVSITE1\*.*/SUBDIR

Note that this selection has '080' in the resource type for EV.  When Backup Exec or EV are upgraded when EV backups are configured it is possible to see the EV resources show up twice in the Backup Exec selection details.  The exceptions show the format without the '080' so I'm think they aren't having any effect with the other line present.  My recommendation would be to do the following steps:

1. In the Backup Exec console expand out the EV agent selections.
2. Delete every entry starting with the lower most entry. (Do not just delete
the top level entry) then close out of the selection list.
3. Restart the services on the Backup Exec server and the EV server(s).  This should cause the EV selections to show up once again and available to be selected.

4. Add the EV selections back into your job and add the exception.  This time the EV-SIT selection should only show up once along with the exclusion lines.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Is the partition which is getting backed up created on the SQl server ?

Check what other selections you have in the backup job other than selection for Ev .

Have a look on the the selection detail , here you can check the selection in text view.

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

Hi RahulG,

Not sure what you mean by created on the SQL server?

The open and closed partitions physically exist on storage attached to the EV server itself (E:\Vault)

All the other selections in the Backup Exec job are the local installation and system state of the EV server and Backup Exec media server.

On the EV server, partitons, indexes, anything relevant to EV has been excluded from the backup selections, it's all done via the EV agent.

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

From the successfully completed job log, the 1st and 3rd sets below are closed partitions.

They took 28hrs (no collections on the email archive) and 3hrs (collections enabled on the journal) respectively;

I already have the Closed Partitions deselected within the EVSITE selections in Backup Exec, is there something else I need to do to have the closed partitions not backed up?

Thanks

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee

From the screenshot of the detailed selection list it appears that the EV site is actually present twice:

One is showing:

EV-SIT::\\EV\xxxxxx-SQL-0001\EVSITE1\*.*/SUBDIR

The other one is:

EV-SIT::\\EV080\xxxxxx-SQL-0001\EVSITE1\*.*/SUBDIR

Note that this selection has '080' in the resource type for EV.  When Backup Exec or EV are upgraded when EV backups are configured it is possible to see the EV resources show up twice in the Backup Exec selection details.  The exceptions show the format without the '080' so I'm think they aren't having any effect with the other line present.  My recommendation would be to do the following steps:

1. In the Backup Exec console expand out the EV agent selections.
2. Delete every entry starting with the lower most entry. (Do not just delete
the top level entry) then close out of the selection list.
3. Restart the services on the Backup Exec server and the EV server(s).  This should cause the EV selections to show up once again and available to be selected.

4. Add the EV selections back into your job and add the exception.  This time the EV-SIT selection should only show up once along with the exclusion lines.

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

Morning Russ,

EV has only had the hotfix for Outlook 2010 applied, but you're quite right, BE2010 was upgraded to R3, can't honestly remember if it was R1 or R2 otiginally though.

I'll go through your steps shortly.

Thanks

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

Hi Russ,

Removed the EV selections from the bottom level up, noticed that when I had it completely removed, both the 080 referenced lines where still present.

Restarted the services on the media server, also the remote agent on the EV server, both the 080 lines still show in the detailed selections, even though I haven't reselected anything under the EV site yet.

Image attached

Francis

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

Looks better now.

When editing the 080 selections manually from the detailed view, the paths where blank.

Deleted them, restarted services again, selections stayed deleted.

Re-added the EV site selections except for the closed partitions.

Will keep an eye on the it the rest of the week and this weekends full backup, but looks promising.

Thanks 

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

That looks to have sorted it.

Thanks very much Russ