cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eliminating V-79-57344-818 error for backing up CPS files

BGR
Level 3
I had a wonderfully stable BE 11d and CPS system working in concert with no issues for quite some time. Suddenly I started seeing V-79-57344-818 error messages appear in BE backups for the CPS destination folders,  with a final error:

Code:
Final error: 0xe0000332 - File(s) are currently being backed up to the CPS Protection Server and cannot be backed up by Backup Exec. Adjust the schedules for the CPS and Backup Exec jobs that back up these file(s) to avoid running them simultaneously, and then try running the Backup Exec job again.Final error category: Resource Errors

Symantec isn't very consistent in its characterization of this problem in the BE error messages, knowledge base, and forums claiming it's both a result of corrupted files and BE attempting to backup files in the destination folder that CPS is currently backing up. I can tell you that's rubbish, because I've examined the files and they are fine (can be restored intact) and the CPS schedule is deliberately set to NOT overlap with the BE backup schedule to avoid this.   I also see in the forums where Symantec reps have advised people to backup the snapshots instead of the destination folders to avoid this, something I believe Symantec advises against in the CPS documentation and really, far more coomplicated for restore purposes should CPS need to be restored.

It would be great if Symantec could fix this, but because this is not a fatal error what I would really like to see for now is a way to turn that error into a warning that's not flagged as a failure. Is there any way to do that? Any other suggestions on how I can work around this problem? Do I need to completely shut off CPS in the BE backup window and if so, any suggestions on how to do that in an automated fashion (on Windows Server 2003?) Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Kestrel9
Not applicable

Hello BGR,

We've been running BE 11d on a 2003 server since early 2008 and saw this same issue at least two or three times a week. I was hoping that upgrading to 2010 R3 on a 2008 R2 box would help, but I'm still seeing the same error!

Unfortunately, I don't have a fix for it (yet?), but I think it's something to do with the file creation date being changed. You may want to take a look at your 'corrupt' files too, just to check.

I agree that the backed up files are restoreable, but at some point during the CPS job the file creation date becomes invalid. eg. '16 Sept 1601' is quite a common date for us.

Don't know why, but when the file with its invalid date is backed up, BE thinks it's corrupt and generates the error - reasonable logic I suppose.

As a workaround, I've been manually changing the file creation date to match the modified date (or any other valid date), which seems to get around the problem and CPS and BE work again, for that file at least, until it happens on another file....

Would love to find a solution, as we get a dozen or so files to manually change the date each time, but not always the same files. It's really annoying and time consuming, and would prefer a system that I don't have to worry about so much on a daily basis.

If I had time to investigate further, I'd probably start by asking the file owners for specific info. regarding file useage vs CPS timings etc., and may be what the file was created with, OS, application, copied from USB stick, if it was open at the time etc. etc., just to try and narrow down the corrupted date issue.

Sorry that I can't be any more help than that. Cheers!