cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End marker unreasable backup exec 2014

vovocals
Level 4

for some time now i am getting End marker unreadable on some of my tapes. this usually happen when a job is running and for one reason or the other the system restarts for the job fails. the solution earlier was to erase the data, but i need those data

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

vovocals
Level 4

let's be clear on this.

I should move the tape to scratch media. ?

my backup on the tape will not be overwritten?

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You may be able to restore data from such tapes.

If you open the restore selections, do you see any data available ? Or else, if you try duplicating to a disk storage, is any data available ?

vovocals
Level 4

definitely i can restore from the tape

problem is. i have only backuped up 500mb of data out of 1.39TB.

i can no longer backup to the tape

VJware
Level 6

Consider duplicating the existing backup sets from the tape to a disk storage device. This way, you would have the already backed up data on another storage and can then erase the tape to make usable again for future operations.

vovocals
Level 4

Understoo. is there a way i can keep avoiding the tape having end of marker unreadable

VJware
Level 6

There can be multiple reasons as to why this can occur. Usually, the connection is interrupted in the midst of a backup, the tape is marked as end marker unreadable. Start with troubleshooting as to why the connections are getting interrupted or why the backups are failing and this will then get rid of the end marker effect.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You don't need to erase these tapes to reuse them. Just associate them with the scratch media set and they can be overwritten.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

When a tape is marked "end marker unreadable", that is the symptom of a different problem, typically the backup getting interrupted.  fix the interruptions or other errors, then the "end marker unreadable" will stop happening.

vovocals
Level 4

My backups gets interruped, as a result of the system rebooting for some unknown reason.

but i am sure even if the error comes up there should be a way to solve it

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you need to check your Event Viewer logs to see why the server is rebooting...

vovocals
Level 4

Power issues in the datacenter

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

When the server reboots in the middle of a backup, the backup job never gets a chance to write to tape the normal stuff that goes at the end of a job.  Therefore, you will eventually get this tape labeled as "end marker unreadable".  That tape can generally be restored up until the point that the server rebooted during hte backup.  The tape can not be appended to, due to the missing end markers.  The tape can be overwritten whenever you like by moving it to "scratch", otherwise it will become overwritable at its scheduled time.

vovocals
Level 4

well understood

are u saying i should move the tape to scratch media?

Will that override the data already on it?

VJware
Level 6

When you move the tape to "Scratch media", it does not overwrite the existing data on it immediately. It marks the tape "overwritable" so that when its picked up for a backup operation, then the data on that tape is overwritten.

vovocals
Level 4

let's be clear on this.

I should move the tape to scratch media. ?

my backup on the tape will not be overwritten?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you put your tape into Scratch media, it WILL be overwritten. There is no protection there.

Thanks!