cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Backup to Removabel USB Drive

eraser10
Level 2

Hey all

I have Symantec BackupExec 11d Small business Edition. And i am trying to create a backup on to 2 diffrent USB drives. And i cannot get this to work. I have created a Removabel Backup to Disk Folder, with the following settings: Maximum size for backup to disk files = 4GB. Maximum number of backup files for backup set = 2. Disk spece reserved = 60GB.

The two USB drives are both at 60GB. I am creating a backupjob with about 30GB off data.
I have added the Backupsystem to the Keep data infinity mediaset. Witch is set to over write protection none. When backing up is sayes that the ovewrite protected until is set to: Overwritabel and the Appendabel until is set to = Infinite allow append.

The problem is that i can backup files that a under 496MB. But when i try to run my real backup job with the 30GB, is failes and sayes that the media is out off space. But there are plenty off soace left on the usb drive. No matter what i am doing it will not backup files lager than 496mb.

please help me with this issue.

best regards  

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Well I don't have 11D installed any longer to check this but a number of things need pointing out:

1) Disk space reserve is probably how much space has to remain empty on the drive in order to allow backups to run - as such setting it to 60GB on a 60GB drive will leave you with no way to backup. We appear to have changed the name of this setting in the current version of Backup Exec so I can't fully confirm this on the versiosn I have installed.

2) If you have set maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file to 2 and the system you are backing up contains a C: drive, a D: drive and the System State then it will use a second file as each of these objects counts as a different backup set even though they are in one job so 3 backup sets. Add a second server in also with resources and teh number of sets increases.

3) 11D was not designed to handle unplugging USB drives (where the whole device is unplugged) as B2D locations. The removable B2D setting was actually designed for RDX\Imomega\GoVault style drives that have a removable media cartridge but the devcie itself remians connected. You need to upgrade to BackuP Exec 2010 R2 or later to use a version thatw as desigend to handle thsio (and then use a standard B2D devcie not a removable one) I believe we are going to change the teminology in the version of Backup Exec due for release in 2012 so that this is less confusing.

4) As a lot of USB drives arrive configured with FAT32 yiou might need to convert them to NTFS to handle larger BKF file sizes.

eraser10
Level 2

Thanks a lot for your answer. Is it then possibel at all, to make the backup to USB drive in this version og Backupexec. Ore do i have to upgrade the version, before it is technical possibel?   

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, you can use an USB drive to create a backup to with BE11, but I does recognizes the swap of a USB drive correctly.

If you have a valid maintance contract, you can easy upgrade to BE2010R3.

eraser10
Level 2

What must be the settings in the Media Policy for appending period and overwriting period. 
My seeting is now Overwritng protection time period = 12 hours. Append period 5 hours.
I dont know if the is right. What i want to do is run an totalbackup Monday - Friday at 21.00 am.

And every second day i replace the usb drive with a another one, with same name and drive letter. 
What settings must i use in Append period and overwriting period?

Thanks...  

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The OPP and AP setting is dependent on how long you want to keep the data and how long you want to append.  Only you would be able to figure this out.  These settings have nothing to do with how often you rotate your disks.

As the others have pointed out earlier, to rotate USB disks, it would be easier to upgrade to at least BE 2010 R2 which has a lot of enhancements to handle the attachment/detachment of disks.  However, it is still do-able with your version with some work.  See my article

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-rotate-external-harddisks