cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Communications are down with the Backup Exec services

Doofus1980
Level 4

Hi!

I get these messages every morning I check the backups. The only way around this is for me to restart the server, then run the backup manually or to start the services manually.

I also see this in the event log, could this have anything to do with it? I have followed these steps to try and correct it but no luck!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940032

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3774861.php

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

30 REPLIES 30

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Have you got HP Server Management Agents Software installed on that server if that is the case please follow this too

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61192

Thank You

Doofus1980
Level 4

Thanks, no we don't have that installed. I will get back to you ASAP. :)

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Thank you will wait for your response on same

Keep posted

Cheers :)

Doofus1980
Level 4

Appologies, I will have an update soon!

- Albert

Doofus1980
Level 4

Hi guys. Well, I've managed to get rid of that CAPI2 error, all those steps worked. Thank you for that :)

However I still get these screens every morning, and I can't seem to see anything else in Event Viewer.

Then I click on Services

Then "start all services"

At this point I can log in and start the job manually.

My manager is off but will ask him for help as soon as he comes back. He manages this server.

Thank guys!

Albert

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Albert,

Can you check and see if your AV isn't perhaps stopping the BE services?

Can you disable the AV and see what's happening in that case?

THanks!

Doofus1980
Level 4

Hi Craig,

I think we getting somewhere now! I've just logged onto the server and noticed a Windows update available, I started it and it wasn't long before I got the message in BE about the services not running.

I checked the event log and saw 3 new errors, the most concerning one being this error:

I then repeated the process. I started the services, made sure BE is stable, then did the Windows update. I got the same error again, so it's one of the 3 Windows updates that's causing BE services to stop functioning. Pretty sure it's the SQL update as the other 2 are just Windows security updates.

What do you guys think?

Albert

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

So have sql update successfully installed & if updates were for  SQL then it would restart the backupexec services as backupexec service would rely on SQL

So during the update if it has crashed SQl services then it would be main cause for backupexec services going down

Thank You

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Uninstall the updates and see what happens...

Doofus1980
Level 4

Thanks I will do that and let you know, we getting somewhere now! :)

Doofus1980
Level 4

Success!

All the other steps I got from you guys helped a lot, I managed to get rid of those other erros. Thanks for that :)

However the fix is quite simple. As mentioned I had some Windows updates pending which stopped the service the moment they started running. All I had to do was hide these updates, in particular the SQL update.

Thanks for all the help! :)

Albert