cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error a0081d9 and error a00084f8

JP_2
Level 2
I have been using Backup Exec v9.1 on Windows Small Business Server (2002) for some years now without problem. At the end of March it stopped working. I now receive an email with the following message:

(Server: "SERVER01")  (Job: "Backup 001")  Backup 0001 -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding

I have checked that on the applications/services programme all elements of Backup Exec have started. Viewing the Job History sometimes it fails completely with error a0081d9 with not data backed up. Other times it appears to start and and some data is backed up, then I can see from the Job History I get error a00084f8, the Byte count shows 17,866,302,298. (The Byte count for a 100% successful backup is about 18,179,411,411).

I would welcome any advice on how to resolve this issue. The email error message is the same whether or not there is a figure showing in the Byte count field.

Also is it possible to restore from a partially complete backup?

2 REPLIES 2

MichaelP
Not applicable

I have had the same problem for quite a while now and it’s really driving me crazy. I am supporting multiple clients with network environments almost exactly as you described - SBS 2003, Backup Exec 9.1. I have a few with Backup exec 10, and 10.1, but most are 9.1 The hardware is different - Some clients have  DAT72 drives, some have DLT, some VS160, etc.

I receive the same errors you are getting. Upon opening the job log, I get a "Job Log Display Error" which basically describes how the job log could not be converted to a web page. After acknowledging the error, I get a text version of the log. On the Job History tab error a000819d “The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding." is reported at the top. The second error is reported in the backup set details for the Microsoft Exchange information store - "a00084f8 - The Network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Please check for network errors.”

I am not using the Remote Agent, they are all single server networks.

I have noticed that the problem ALWAYS surfaces after the time change in the spring. It has to have something to do with daylight savings time. I have 1 server that has been doing it for 2 years now, the others just started on 3/10/07, and now the 10.0 and 10.1 are also acting strange. I tried to get support from the old Veritas forums when the first server began failing and they just ran me around in circles before closing the thread without resolve. I have tried all sorts of things, updates, resubmitting the jobs, reinstallation; I really don't think there is a fix???

JP_2
Level 2
Do you mean that you have been unable to back up one server for two years? Or have you managed to sort it out.

Interesting that you think it is something to do with the time change as it has not happened to me in previous years.

As with you I do not have a remote agent so cannot understand the second error message.