cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error connecting to MS SQL Server?

philp
Level 3
We have a W2k3 server running BExec 10d. We have several other W2k3 servers which are also backed up on a daily basis using BExec remote agents. However we have a problem with one of the remote server which is running SQL Server 2005. Within the backup job we are able to select/check the server running SQL ie: the system state, util partition and local drives, etc. However the 'Microsoft SQL Server' feild is greyed out and if we manually add this to the backup job we get the following error as soon as we check the box:
An error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of 'servername'.
A network connection to the server could nto be established

So far we have tried using the 'connect as' option and selecting the listed logon accounts. On the server running SQL Server we have checked the services.msc and all the SQL services running using domain administrator logon account.

Also, just to confirm we purchased and installed an SQL Remote agent however it's displayed in BExec as 'MS SQL 2000 Remote Agent' rather than 'MS SQL 2005 Remote Agent'. Is this the problem or is it something else?

thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Have you got all the hotfixes installed? You need Hotfix 6 installed to get SQL2005 support. See SQL 2005 with BE 10

philp
Level 3
Just checked and it appears hotfix6 hasnt been applied.
Will give this ago over the weekend... many thanks!

philp
Level 3
I applied BExec SP2 which contains hotfix6 and restarted the server. I also reinstalled the BExec remote agent to the server running SQL 2005. Unfortunately I still could not select the 'Microsoft SQL Server' to be part of the backup job as it's still failing with the same connection error. Again many thanks for your efforts however if anyone has any other suggestions please shout ;)

Just a thought, when i view the installed licenses within BExec i can only see 'Remote Agent for SQL Server 2000'. Do i have the wrong license installed? Should i see 'Remote Agent for SQL Server 2005' instead? Is this the problem?

Message Edited by philp on 04-23-200709:25 AM

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Most likely

What version/build of BackupExec are you running?

If it is any v10.0, you'll need to upgrade to v10d http://support.veritas.com/docs/279332

If you are on v10d, make sure that the latest service pack (SP 3 http://support.veritas.com/docs/287295 ) is installed

philp
Level 3
Sorry, i should have stated this in my first post. We are running BExec 10d, therefore I will apply SP3 this afternoon and hopefully get a chance to restart the server tomorrow.

Again many thanks for your assistance.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Your SQL server isn't clustered is it? I found that with BE10, the SQL server simply doesn't appear in the selection list if clustered with Veritas Cluster Server.
A test install of BE11 seems to show the SQL server though.

Pedro_Henriqu1
Level 3
Hi philp

Have you manage to solve your problem? I'm having the same issue and we already had the BE10d SP3 installed. It only connect to local instances of SQL2005, not the remote ones.

We have tried with BE11d and it worked immediately.

Regards