cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error e00084c8 Backup storage device has failed

devinhughey
Level 3

Over the last month I have had 10 backup jobs fail due to the error code e0008438 "Backup Storage Device has failed". It seems fairly random when this happens, I've had it do it 4 times in a row and then here and there too. This is a backup to disk of a file system. There are 2 backup jobs that run each night, the first one is a backup of exchange information and has never failed, it's always the second one that fails at about the sametime each night. Please let me know what kind of information I need to provide to you.

11 REPLIES 11

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH138187

devinhughey
Level 3

I will give it a try thanks!

devinhughey
Level 3

Followed the steps in the KB and it yielded the same result unfortunatetly, so I'm still in the same predicament.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As a test, can you try creating and using a B2D from a different location...

devinhughey
Level 3

Will set that up, thanks.

devinhughey
Level 3

I set it up to save to a different folder and I still had  the same out come. :( it's like it gets done backing up and then fails during verification.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try disabling GRT.

devinhughey
Level 3

I can try that, but the backup job that does Exchange isn't failing. It's the one that does system files.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Is BE 12.5 updated to the latest patch and SP, and have these been push-installed to any remote servers you might have?

Thanks!

devinhughey
Level 3

I ran the live update again and it says that I am currently up to date.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...what happens if you run the backup to a local disk? Is that disk that the B2D is on healthy too? Any maintenance tasks running during the backup run when it fails? ie. antivirus scan?