cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error msg from backup server "unable to connect to remote agent"

Robert_Fahlstr_
Level 3
After upgrading from 10D to 11D my backup fails.
Have 7 Win2k3 servers where 6 is backed with remote agent and the last one is the backup server itself. After upgrade I get the error msg that the backup failed because that is was unable to connect to one remote agent, namely itself.

I don not understand why it is trying to contact itself as a remote agent and not locally?
There are no selections with UNC path for this server..
error code is: 0xe000846b

All remote agent servers backups fine...

Any ideas someone?
7 REPLIES 7

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Try a new selection list and redirect your jobs to the new list. If that fails delete all jobs, policies and selection ists and redo them. I had an identical problem, the second option worked for me but I beleive option one has worked for others.

Robert_Fahlstr_
Level 3
Hi Philip, Thanks for the suggestions.
But before deleting eveything that has been working for almost 2 years I would like to have some ideas from Symantec...

Today Liveupdate found HotFix 9 which now is on its way in, still to find out if this helps.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
I believe that it is some GRT fixes and tape drivers.

Try a new selection list first, redirect the existing job to the selection list. Everyone who carried jobs over from 10 to 11 has had similar issues, I don't believe that it will be fixed.

Robert_Fahlstr_
Level 3
HotFix 9 did not do any change, still unable to backup local server.
Checked that BE Remote agent services are run by local account(another thread)

SYMANTEC? Anybode awake?

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee
Robert:

The error code that you are seeing indicates that Backup Exec cannot commuincate with the remote agent. You asked earlier why it would need to communicate with itself in such a manner.

In 11d all the moving of the data for backups and restores is done through the Remote Agent Service, even local backups. Please verify that this service is running as the "Local System Account" This can be done by going to the services applet, and selecting the "Backup Exec Remote Agent" Look on the Logon tab and verify that the service is running as the "Local System Account"

Also your initial post indicated that either there was a server throwing this error that you were not trying to protect, or that this server was complaining about a URL being used.

Go to your selection list for this backup job. Under the selections, select the "View Selection Details" tab. this will give you the selections in text. Please verify the path and URL to the machines you want to protect with this job, and remove any extraneous selections.

Robert_Fahlstr_
Level 3
Thanks for the reply Joshua,

The server that I have a problem with is the backup server itself.

Remote agent is running as local account.

the selection list is gone thru, nothing in the way \\Servername... just local selections c:\...

Is there a possibility that the local installation did not upgrade the local/remote agent in the backup server itself?
This server is the machine where I push out all the other backup installations from, and they work... My problem is that this machine have SQL db�s that needs to be backuped now.
I have tried to install the remote agent from "Install remote agent" but it stops and does not let me do that due to local machine.

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee
Robert:

I would have to say that there is not a possibility that the remote agent on the local box was not upgraded. You can prove this beyond a shadow of a doubt by going to the beremote.exe file and selecting properties. Look at the version of the file. It should be 11.0.6235.x. The x indicates the Hotfix level of the file.

Could you please cut and paste your selection list into the forum thread so I can see exactly what your selections are. Also please verify that you have a valid SQL licence for Version 11.x this can be done by going to Help | About | Licensing Information, and making sure that your SQL agent is installed and licensed.