cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when restoring a VM to another ESXi Host (Free version of ESXi)

Westholme
Level 3

Hi Folks,

I have an issue when restoring a VM to another ESXi host, I get the error "Final error: 0xe000957e - Unable to create the new virtual machine" and th ejob fails.

I do notice that it seems to start and gets as for as 24.7kb each time then fails.

I am restoring to the Free version of ESXi 5.1 update 1 - you are not required to license the free version as its Free from Vmware (but has limitations obvioulsy). I read a recent post saying the VMware ESXi that you are restoring to needs to be licensed (eg - if you use the full version of VMWare you it probably won't do it within the 30day trail period). However, to be clear I am using the FREE ESXi software - there is no license, its a test box with just to test the restore.

I've raised a case with Symantec and I'm awaiting feedback but they advised me to come here too.

Case 04951942.

Thanks

Richard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You need a license in order to get the Vmware Storage api licensed.

Without license on vmware this api will not be activated, and you will not be able to restore.

Indeed, if you start trial mode, this api will be activated and you will be able to restore.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You need a license in order to get the Vmware Storage api licensed.

Without license on vmware this api will not be activated, and you will not be able to restore.

Indeed, if you start trial mode, this api will be activated and you will be able to restore.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec 2012’s Agent for VMware natively incorporates VMware’s backup technology, vStorage API’s for Data Protection. If an AVVI agent backup is initiated and no vStorage API's exist on the version of the ESX server, the backups and restores will fail.

I believe, the free version of ESX server doe not have this incorporated. You need to obtain a license from VMWare for vStorage APIs for Data Protection (VADP).

Here are some links about VDAP

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH150567

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102117...

Westholme
Level 3
Thank you Guys!!!