cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors during install (required restoring the server from backup)

Dave_Morgan
Level 2
Over last weekend I tried upgrading a server from Backup Exec 8.6 to 10.1. The install process installed MSDE and upgraded MDAC to 2.7.

Other than that the install seemed to go okay but then I noticed I was unable to get to shares on the server from a desktop (the server is our primary file server). Further examination of the event log revealed all kinds of IRPStackSize errors (event ID 2011, I think).

I did some research and tried making the suggested registry changes to IRPStackSize. After a few iterations I could see the shares but I still had many issues on the actual server (logged in to the console):

- Internet Explorer would not start
- I could not log off
- I could not shut down the server (I actually had to power cycle the machine)

After messing around for a couple of hours I finally decided to give up and restore the LiveState backup I made before starting the process. Since I had to do a restore I have no event logs or other things to look at (I had to get the server back running for production use). I really need to get 10.1 running - especially so that I can get my new tape changer working. Can anyone suggest what might have gone wrong?

Dave Morgan
IT Director
Gateway Financial Services
3 REPLIES 3

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

What is the exact error message that you receive durning the installation?

We suggest you to install MDAC 2.8 before starting the installation of Backup Exec. Please refer following steps:

1. Download and install the MDAC 2.8 on Backup Exec server from the following URL:
<>

2. After applying the MDAC, apply the latest service pack of the Jet 4.0 components. Refer to above link:

Now try installing Backup Exec v10d.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dave_Morgan
Level 2
I was thinking about trying the same thing - installing MDAC first. I don't remember the exact error message any more and since I had to restore I don't have event logs to refer to - sorry.

By the way, I have experienced an odd problem with the forum. I can't ever get the login window to come up when I am at forums.veritas.com. If I change the URL to forums.symantec.com and leave eveything else the same then I can log in. Until I get logged in I can't add a reply.

-- Dave

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Could you please Update us on the issue?

-- Do you still receive a error message?

-- If you experience problems logging into forums.

The links to posts,you are supposed to replace � Veritas � with � Symantec �.

For example :

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=64915&tstart=21

Should be replaced with :

http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=64915&tstart=21

And you need to be logged in to send a reply to the forums..

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.