cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evaluation copy of BackupExec 2010 doesn't install.

Psyfer269
Level 2
If anyone could provide some assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

System Configuration:

HP Z400 - Quad Core system with 6gb RAM, 300GB 10k SATA Drive, Adaptec 39320 SCSI adapter and HP Storageworks Ultrium 460 tape drive.
Operating System is Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit edition.  Machine belongs to a domain but I'm a domain admin so permissions are not an issue.

PROBLEM
Downloaded an evaluation copy of Symantec Backup Exec 2010 and attempted to install it.  Ran the pre-installation environment check and returned 3 warnings.
1 - DHCP issue about my IP not being static.
2 - Symantec Antivirus Check failed, we use McAffee.
3 - Symantec Endpoint protection manager is not installed.

I then proceed to do the installation.  After agreeing to the license agreement, the Local Install window appears.  The option to install Backup Exec software and options is grayed out and unavailable.
Only the remote administration console is available for installation.

I have attempted the following things:

Downloaded Symantec BE_SupportTool and ran support tool.  After accepting the EULA, the tool reported two errors:
1 - Tool reports that my currently logged on account doesn't have Administrative Access.  I have tried both with my normal network account and with a local administrative account and neither work.  Also in the local groups under administrators both my domain admin account and my regular domain account are there. 
2 - Tool complains about File and Print Sharing not being enabled for my adapters.  I have two physical NIC cards, two VMWare virtual NICs and the bluetooth device.  Upon further verification of each of the devices under Windows 7 the File and Print Sharing option is checked on all the adapters except under bluetooth.

The other way in which I tried to resolve this issue was to try with a clean install of Windows 7.  I installed W7x64 under a virtual machine and attempted to install BE2010.  It failed with the same issue that I'm experiencing on the real machine.  BE2010 install software and options is grayed out.

I'm really hoping that someone can shed some light with this issue, it would seem to me that BackupExec just doesn't run under Windows 7 64-bit edition.  I haven't tried installing on a 32-bit version, that's coming next.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Both 64 bit and 23 bit Windows 7 are not supported as media servers under BE 2010.  See the SCL below

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/329254.pdf

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Both 64 bit and 23 bit Windows 7 are not supported as media servers under BE 2010.  See the SCL below

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/329254.pdf

Psyfer269
Level 2

Thanks for getting back to me, not exactly the answer that I wanted to hear.  I don't understand why the support XP but not Windows 7.  At any rate, thanks again.