cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event 33808 - MoveMedium() Attempt to Lock Slot Failed

William_Petters
Level 2
To try to make a long story short, I have two USB removable drives, each of which needs 2 USB ports to run (power draw I assume).  They were set up as two seperate removable backup-to-disc objects.  One has the drive letter I:, the other is G:.  Because they each require 2 USB ports, they also require a special cable.  At the moment, one of these special is missing, presumed destroyed by some engineering project.  Yes, this is the main cause of my grief, but I'm hoping to find a second way out.
Everything seemed to be fine, until the server restarted.  Now when I try to start BackupExec (the service) I get the following event logged:
Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Backup Exec
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    33808
Date:        14/05/2007
Time:        3:57:28 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    NLTA-SVR1
Description:
An error occurred while processing a B2D command.
 Changer: MoveMedium() Attempt to Lock Slot Failed (G:\VERITAS\B2D\Folder.lck).  Error=3

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

If I swap the backup drive that is plugged in, the error changes from G:\ to I:\.   So it seems to be having troubles working out that the drive is not actually plugged in.  So I can't actually start the backup service.  So far I've checked http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285874.htm
It advises me to remove the .lck file, which doesn't exist when I do plug the drive in.  However, I also doubt that it's actually finding this file, as it's trying to access a drive letter which doesn't exist.
It also advises me to reconfigure my removable B2D.  However I can't do that till the BackupExec service starts. 
Is there any way I can get past this?  Ideally, I'd like some way of starting the service without requiring all my B2D devices plugged in.  A last resort would be clearing out all of my configuration details with regards to B2D, if that were possible.

2 REPLIES 2

SteveVRTS
Level 6
Employee
The main thing here is that these devices need to be configured as separate, standard backup-to-disk folders and not removable backup-to-disk folders.  You should delete the both of them from devices and set the up as their own standard backup-to-disk folder.

William_Petters
Level 2
Thanks for that Steve, I'll do that, however, I'm now having beserver.exe crashing.  I think this server plain hates me.  I'll see what I can work out and come back to this.