cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everytime a job runs cleaning media is required

james2k6
Level 4

Hi,

I'm having issues with completing a full backup job properly.  I have cleaned the drive at least 10 times but everytime I run a full back up job, it wants a cleaning media before the job can execute.  This happens randomly though.  Sometimes a cleaning media is required when the first tape is full and the second tape is about to be used and the other times a cleaning media will be used before the first tape is in use.

I think this is hardware related issue?  Below is the error message.

Job ended: Saturday, January 29, 2011 at 9:54:04 PM Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe00084ec - A backup storage read/write error has occurred. If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive. Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again. If the problem persists, try a different tape. You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues. If the storage is disk based, check that the storage subsystem is functioning properly. Review any system logs or vendor specific logs associated with the storage to help determine the source of the problem. You may also want to check any vendor specific documentation for troubleshooting recommendations. Final error category: Backup Media Error.

I now have a cleaning media sitting in one of the slots so that everytime the job requires it, it's there.

Can anyone help me with this please?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If the tape drive demands to be cleaned repeatedly, then it is highly probable that it is faulty.  I had the same problem once and replacing the tape drive solves the problem.

To verify that your tape drive is faulty,

1) stop all BE services

2) use the manufacturer's diagnositic utility to test the tape drive.  Make sure you select the write test.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As you suspect and as the error mentions cleary this could be indeed a Hardware issue. You ca check the Event viewer when the job fails. You may find any event ids. like 7, 9, 11 or 15 which corresponds to hardware problem.

Also make sure that the device drivers are latest Symantec drivers. Medium changer in the Device manager will be using the Unknown Medium Changer drivers provided by the Operating System.

In case if you are facing hardware issue then you may refer to the following technote for hardware problems.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24414 : How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library (autoloader/changer) and/or Tape Drive(s)

Thanks,

-Sush...

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

How old is the tape unit & if you go to devices tab & when you click on the tape drive on right hand side bottom please note the hard write & read error if they are more 2 or 3 & also as said by you you have tried cleaning mutiple times seems to be h/w issue

Please ensure following

1 Tape drivers for symantec are upto date

2 Also if tape unit is old more than  years please upgrade the firmware & scsi controller drivers by calling h/w support if it is in warranty

3 Also after doing that perform some test from there end & once done should be working fine

4 If it not in the warranty please go to h/w vendor website & look for your tape unit latest firmware & upgrade it & also upgrade the scsi drivers

Please look this link for more information

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH4852

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH54241

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5279

If this help mark this solved

Thank You

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If the tape drive demands to be cleaned repeatedly, then it is highly probable that it is faulty.  I had the same problem once and replacing the tape drive solves the problem.

To verify that your tape drive is faulty,

1) stop all BE services

2) use the manufacturer's diagnositic utility to test the tape drive.  Make sure you select the write test.

james2k6
Level 4

Okay it seems to be faulty drive.  Got a replacement and everything is OK now.  Thanks.