cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V Environment Backup using BE 2010 R2

spacecat19
Level 2

First of all sorry if this has already been answered somewhere else in the forums but from the searching I've done so far and the reading of the admin guide the answers to my questions below aren't the easiest to find.....

Environment overview - 2 x Hyper-V hosts, 1 x iSCSI SAN, 1 x BE 2010 R2 server connected to iSCSI network and standard LAN

Can someone please answer the following questions......

1. Does the CSV volume need to be presented to the BE media server similar to how VCB had to be configured?
  2. Since the BE server does not reside on the Hyper-V host - from my understanding the only requirement is to have the necessary agents installed and VHDMount installed?
  3. Does the CSV volume on the iSCSI SAN need to have volume snapshots configured?

Thanks for your answers on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

danstis
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

However you must require SAN access if you want to use iSCSI as your transport method?

I would much rather not utilise the LAN when there is a SAN connection on my backup host.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Answers:

1. No need to present CSV volume to BE media server.

2. You need to install Hyper-v agent on Backup Exec server (when you add hyper-v agent license it gets installed). On Hyper-V servers you need to install Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems (RAWS).

You do not need vhdmount if backup exec is running on Windows 2008 server.

3. By volume snapshots do you mean enabling shadow copies in the volume properties? If yes then that is not needed.

spacecat19
Level 2

Yes Backup Exec 2010 R2 is running on W2K8 R2 server - guide advises "Note: VHDmount is required only if the media server runs Microsoft Windows 2003 or Windows 2008 without the Hyper-V role installed. You can install the VHDmount component from Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1. ""

Hyper-V role is not installed on the BE server. Is the above quote incorrect?

In regards to volume snapshots I am referring to the CSV volume that resides on the array - so in this instance snapshots that are taken at the array level.

Just to clarify - to backup Hyper-V VM's at an image level the BE media server doesn't require any SAN access? VM image level backups are performed over the LAN only?

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you do not have Hyper-V role installed then you will need vhdmount utility. However I see no reason why you would want to install vhdmount over enabling hyper-v role.

Snapshots are performed by VSS using Hyper-V writer.

You are correct, BE server doesnt need any SAN access, it can backup Hyper-V data using LAN.

Thanks,

If this answer your questions please mark this post as resolved.

danstis
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

However you must require SAN access if you want to use iSCSI as your transport method?

I would much rather not utilise the LAN when there is a SAN connection on my backup host.

spacecat19
Level 2

Thanks for your answers sbora and danstis