cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exabtye VXA-2 showing up as a stand-alone drive

Doug_Heestand
Level 3
I have an Exabyte VXA-2 1u x 10 autoloader that is showing up as a standalone drive. I have enabled support for the Robotic Library during installation. I am running 10.1.5629 on Windows SBS 2003, using the Veritas driver for the tape drive.

How do i get it to recognize the robotic arm?
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Does Windows Device Manager see the Loader? is it started and ready?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue..

Thank You,

Shweta

Doug_Heestand
Level 3
Yes, Windows Device Mgr sees it and yes it is on and ready.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if device manager sees it, you should be able to run the hardware wizard and just tell Backup Exec to use existing drivers

or you can grab the latest driver pack and run TAPEINST to install the Veritas drivers

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/284707.htm for v10d
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/279944.htm for v10.0

Doug_Heestand
Level 3
I have run the "device configuration Wizard" and the "hot-swappable device wizard" and I did not see a setting in either location to use existing drivers. the tape drive still shows up as a single drive. When I go to the Exabyte web site and try to download the driver it gives me this warning:
----------------------
CAUTION!: Commercial backup applications (ArcServe, BackupExec, Retrospect, etc.) require their own drivers to work correctly. The following driver, provided by Exabyte, is to be used only with an Operating Systems' built-in backup application. Once the following driver is installed, commercial backup applications will not work properly.

Install this driver only if specifically instructed to do so by your backup application's developer.
Removal of this driver, once installed, is extremely difficult.
-----------------------

seems like we should be able to get this to work with the veritas drivers, no? I downloaded the latest drivers and it found my device again and installed the driver. Perhaps after reboot we will be good to go. I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Doug_Heestand
Level 3
My issue is fixed!!! What I did:

- Downloaded the "libtool" from Exabyte and changed the inquiry string for the drive back to it's default setting ("EXABYTE 3"). It had been set to something different for backward compatibility with ArcServe
- Installed the latest tape drivers from Veritas
- Restarted

It now shows up as a robotic library!

Thank you to everyone!