cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Examples of creating BE 10.0 Bkup jobs for Iomega REV device

rich_Minkowetz
Level 3
I have been struggling to setup backup jobs for the Iomega REV 35GB USB drive. It would be nice if there was a comprehensive Veritas manual specifically addressing the Iomega REV drive.

1. I want to put re-label the RRD disks for identification purposes, with a label like a serial number; e.g. PM0001 and so on. The O/S says the device is in use, but I can not determine any application associated to it.

2. Define backup jobs which retain names I provide; e.g., 'Server01 Full'. The job name would be displayed in the Monitor panel. I have tried to change the name when going through the wizard and also by editing the jobs properties, but when it starts and is being monitored the name reverts to a default name provided during the wizard's execution.

3. How do you associate the RRD disk to a pool like tapes were handled, so any over writable disk mounted in the REV unit would be used?

4. How do you force a RRD to be overwritten. For example the disk is normally protected from be over written for 1 day. But I want to rerun the job and use the same RRD.

5. I tried defining some jobs. When the RRD has never been used it works fine. But when I try to over write the RRD, the starts RUNNNING and then is QUEUED. It appears the disk mounted is unusable. How do I resolve this?

Editorial comment: I thought I could do disk backups and avoid tape by using the REV device. Your software has been tested for compatibility for the device, but it is a challenge to get a backup job defined and to function.

Thanks for your help. Rich
3 REPLIES 3

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
With regards to your query, you would like to configure and use Iomega Rev drive. Backup Exec does not support USB tape drives. If it is a USB hard drive then make sure that it is recognized by Windows as a drive letter.

In order to configure the drive for Backup Exec, make sure that you have set up a removable backup to disk on the drive. Please refer to the following technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/253764.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to the "answered threads" pool.

rich_Minkowetz
Level 3
Your response does not address my questions, in particular documentation describing the defining of a job.. I have already configured the device as per the document id you provided. I had this same reply for how to configure the RRD from a previous correspondence.

What you sent was apparently a stock reply.

Since I am still in a testing mode, I will uninstall the BE & start over again. What happened to olde fashion support - which responses to what was actually asked?

The support for the Iomgea REV device appears to be very minimal.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

I would like to know if the USB hard drive is recognized by Windows as a drive letter. Were you able to create removable Backup to Disk folders ??

Kindly update so as to help you further.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.