cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003 Backup Error

Brian_Strazisar
Not applicable
We are running BackupExec 11D build 6235.  The target machine is a domain controller running Exchange 2003 standard with Service Pack one for Windows and SP2 for Exchange.  After each night's full backup We receiving the following errors:

Backup- \\server.domain.com\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\server.domain.com\Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details. Writer Name: Event Logs, Writer ID: {EEE8C692-67ED-4250-8D86-390603070D00}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed. The operation cannot be retried (0x800423f4), State: Failed during prepare snapshot operation (8).

We have run the VSS update from Microsoft, but that has not helped. Can anybody help?
2 REPLIES 2

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Brian,

Can you run vssadmin list writers?
This will tell you is one of the writers are experiencing problems.

Also, try to run the job with with the option under Advances Open File to use Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service instead of Automatically select.

Let me know the results.

Patty

nhbilly
Level 4
I had this problem...I just disabled AOFO and it backed up fine. Test it without AOFO?