cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003 Restore Failure BE 2010 R2 (Trial)

gcollier
Level 3

I'm demoing 2010 R2.  Was currently using 10D.  I cannot restore an individual mail item from Tape. 

Environment:

• Exchange 2003 on Server 2003
  • BE 2010 R2 Trial on Server 2003
  • HP Tape loader, using LT03

I did a full backup of Exchange information stores, using GRT.  I created a restore job and had to point the Temp directory to removable storage, (1TB Drive connected via USB 2.0).  The Staging completes, then the job errors out with V-79-57344-33932. 

Error log says that it cannot attach to a resource, make sure that all selected resources exist etc... the resource is the information store that contains the mailbox & item I am trying to restore.  

My Google searches haven't lead me to anything to resolve the issue yet.  I verified that the account has permissions to Exchange, Domain Admin etc, mailbox is not hidden and present in Exchange as well.  

I didn't install MAPI when I loaded this backup server.  Could that be the problem?  I've read that MAPI needs to be installed.  I tried to load MAPI and it error'd out because I had Outlook installed on the media server, which I had done because I read somewhere that Outlook was needed on the media server to perform the backup.

Any help, suggestions, links would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gcollier
Level 3

Thanks all for the help.  I verified the credentials and everything checked out okay.  I was also able to drill down in to the individual mail items/folders etc. without issue.

What I did to resolve the issue is uninstall Outlook, and installed MAPI on the media server.  I re-ran the job and the job did indeed restore mail items to my Inbox.  It did have some exceptions which I'll be troubleshooting next, but I have confirmed that items were restored, and I also received an E-mail from my service account letting me know items were restored to my Inbox.

It took about 2.5 hours to complete.  I'll investigate moving the contents of the tape to a disk first to see if that improves the time.  Unfortunately I'm working with some older equipment and until it is refreshed, I may be stuck with restoring from tape or having to use removable storage since my media server only has a 30GB Raid.

Thanks so much for all the help!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

Outlook is definitely not required on your media server to run a backup of Exchange. You can remove this. I HAVE seen an issue where when trying to restore Exchange, if Outlook isn't your default email client, it can cause some issues. So try that change in IE and see if it helps.

That said, I prefer to stage to disk manually first, then restore from there. I know that BE 2010 has the capability to restore directly from tape, but old habits die hard.

Read the article below, try the steps and see if it helps. Either way, please post back with an update.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-usi...

Thanks!

sammy_perfect
Level 5

Hi ,

I would recommend few steps on same

1 As the job is failing with cannot attach to resource please confirm your mapi credential are working fine by going to tools-options-microsoft exchange -check the box backup using legacy way(Note we are not going to do backup in this case it is only for testing purpose)

2 Once done please click on ok & then click on new backup selection to expand exchange server & then see if you are able to expand the mailboxes individuall in backup selections if that is working fine let me know or if it is failing with log on to mapi error update me so that I can give you next steps to resolve the issue

Thank You

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

1st thing is duplicate the backp wich you have on tape to a bakup to disk folder , as if you restroe directly from tape it is gogin to take time for the restore to complete or fail . So if you have the copy of the backup on a backup to disk location then it does not need to stage the data on the temp location and if the restore fails it would fail right away .

As Sammy said you can enable the legacy support and then try to expand the mailboxes in the selection which would help you to know if the issue is with rights or permission .

gcollier
Level 3

Thanks all for the help.  I verified the credentials and everything checked out okay.  I was also able to drill down in to the individual mail items/folders etc. without issue.

What I did to resolve the issue is uninstall Outlook, and installed MAPI on the media server.  I re-ran the job and the job did indeed restore mail items to my Inbox.  It did have some exceptions which I'll be troubleshooting next, but I have confirmed that items were restored, and I also received an E-mail from my service account letting me know items were restored to my Inbox.

It took about 2.5 hours to complete.  I'll investigate moving the contents of the tape to a disk first to see if that improves the time.  Unfortunately I'm working with some older equipment and until it is refreshed, I may be stuck with restoring from tape or having to use removable storage since my media server only has a 30GB Raid.

Thanks so much for all the help!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...great stuff. Would you mind closing this off then please?

Kashif_ali
Level 3

Hi,

It seems that, not able to find the target i.e source.  First catalog the Tape & then restore the date.

Regards!

S.Kashif.Ali

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Please read the Original Post again

He is writing to a USB Hard drive not a tape drive

The data is staged as designed, but he THEN gets the error, so no need to inventory or catalog

gcollier
Level 3

I marked an answer as a Solution; does that count as closing this out?

Also I wanted to add, I read that the mailbox for your service account, (or account one uses for these jobs, both backing up and restoring), needs to be Active in Exchange.  To make an account active, you need to send an E-mail to that account and or send from that account.

Something else I did along with installing MAPI is I logged on to Outlook using my service account credentials, sent and received an E-mail.  Not sure if that's what did it, but I thought I'd put that in here in case someone runs in to a similar issue.