cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore email items from backup exec 2010 R2

EL_Khatouti
Level 4

Hi,

What is the right way to restore individual items or messages from Backup Exec 2010 R2? Is that recommended to use the wizard restore or not?

The Exchange Backup was completed successfully with GRT enabled.  But when i try te restore items via the Wizard and then click on "test the selected" it says: incorrect function. And that does not apply for SharePoint! when i restore individual items for SharePoint and also click on "test the selected" it says: successfully

- SharePoint 2010 is installed on the same server as  Media Server  

- Exchange server 2007 is a Domain Controller and have a remote agent installed.

Do I something wrong?

Thanks for any help!

Jamal

22 REPLIES 22

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Jamal,

BE 2010 R2 introduced the functionality to restore GRT backups from tape.

I personally haven't tried this, and in prior versions, you would have to stage to disk first.

That is what I would recommend you do if you don't come right...Read my article below which will help you. It was written for BE 11d, but I have used it with BE 12.5, BE 2010, and most recently with BE 2010 R2...you can use the same steps.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-usi...

That said, I would also recommend updating your installation with the latest patches for BE 2010 R2 before trying the restore from tape. If that doesn't work, the duplicate-to-disk route should.

Craig

EL_Khatouti
Level 4

Hi Graig,

Thanks for the update. is a helpful article, but nothing about the test that incorrect function is (see figure1)

Figure 1

And the second question is about Log recovery options when restoring the Information Store: what is the right option to use it for individual items? or is this options only for restoring the mailbox store not for individual items? (see firure2)

As a matter of fact, during the restore process goes the backup dismount and mount the database or is that not necessary for individual items?

Figure 2

Thanks in advance,

Jamal

CraigV

Hi Jamal,

So you'd leave the option for the logs as is...it will temporarily restore the logs used during the backup, and not affect your current logs.

What you need to do though is change the temporary location of your staging area from C:\Temp to a location where you have enough space to temporarily store your Information Store.

There is no need to dismount your Information Store...this is 1 of the major benefits of GRT restores using BE.

With regards to the Incorrect Function error, have you selected your drive as the source?

Thanks!

EL_Khatouti
Level 4

Hi Graig,

Thanks for the quick answer! it is clear.

Abouit the  Incorrect Function error, no, i selected the tape as the source.

Best regards,

Jamal

CraigV

OK...post the results...

EL_Khatouti
Level 4

Hi,

Sorry, i was not available the last days.

This is the error during the restore process:

Thanks in advance.

Jamal

CraigV

OK...so on that remote server, you either have the incorrect agent (and this would be more than 1 version back), or no agent at all.

Go into a selection list, and do a push-install to your target.

Let me know if it works or not...

EL_Khatouti
Level 4

Thanks for your reply!

The remote agent was successfully installed on the mailserv.

I have upgrade the Backup Exec version from 2010 to 2010 R2 and of course also upgrade the remote agent, without any problem! 

I have also pushed the install for the second time from Media Server to the target server (mailserv) it says that successfully installed. but the error stay during the restore process.

Best regards,

Jamal

CraigV

OK Jamal...next thing I would suggest before hitting the support flag for you is to completely remove the Exchange license from your media server, and then reinstall it. Once done, remove the RAWS agent from the remote server, and reinstall it.

Try it again...

EL_Khatouti
Level 4

Hi Graig,

I did everything what you asked, but without the result. I get the same error:

Restore 00093 -- The job failed with the following error: The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer. If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.

thanks in advance for any help!

Jamal

CraigV

...and the agent is definitely started on that server?
Is there possibly a firewall running on that server?

EL_Khatouti
Level 4

Hi GraigV,

The agenst is definitely started on the mailserv, and the error about  Incorrect Function is solved

after install the remote agent manually again on the mailserv:

The firewall was disabled on both servers (mailserv and media server).

But the resote is still a problem, it gives the same error:

Restore 00096 -- The job failed with the following error: The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer. If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.

Is it possible to install the new update manually fot the remote agenst server? Back up Exec on media server is up to date via Live update. when i push the update to mailserv it gives this error:

Many thanks in advance,

Jamal

CraigV

I get the same error when doing a push-install at times...go according to the TN below and then see if it helps...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH33671

EL_Khatouti
Level 4

With no seccess!

the installation is not the most important problem.

the restore issue is more necessary because i have 14 days yet to use the trial version.

The organisation need to see the result of Backup Exec first and then buy the official version.

Thanks again!

Jamal

CraigV

OK, well if the patches were applied to your media server, you need to apply them to the remote agent.

This would be the only way to eliminate this, and manually installing them would be the way to do that.

I can escalate this for you, but doubt you will get support with a trial version!

Thanks!

EL_Khatouti
Level 4

Thank You Craigv,

I hope that the support gives a response!

Best regards,

Jamal

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Are any of the Backup Exec services stopping during the restore process on the media server or the Exchange server?

EL_Khatouti
Level 4

Hi Ben,

The services are not stopping during the restore. not on teh Media server and als not on the Exchange server.

In the event viewer of Exchange server is nothing about back up Exec or the remote agent  but on teh Media server i get this error:

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed

(Server: "Media Server") (Job: "Restore 00096") Restore 00096 -- The job failed with the following error: The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

Thanks,

Jamal

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

WIthout digging into all the debug logs it's going to be difficult to tell what the problem is.  My best suggestion is going to be to call in and open a support case for the issue.