cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Server backup concept

David_963
Level 2
How do the backup exec do the exchange server backup. Will you do any temp dump in location machine during the backup. What do you use to backup the Exchange Information Stores of Exchange 2003/2007/2010? You do VSS based backups or some other method?
4 REPLIES 4

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

http://www.backupexecfaq.com/articles/concepts/understanding-grt-backup-and-restore-functionality-...

It not recomended to Backup Exchange 2003 with VSS OR snapshot technology. Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010, by default uses VSS for backups.

Hope this helps....

David_963
Level 2
Ok, then how the backup exec do the incremental backup.

I see the EDB, log files and .bkf  in the backup media. What i understand is that, the backup exec do the backup for exact edb and log files from the source to the backup media. Is this correct?

In incremental jobs it will do the incremental logs to the .bkf file. Am i correct?

I enabled the software compression for this exchange job bt i dont see backup media size is same as Exchange database size. Will the compression work for Exchange jobs

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

If we are performing incremental backups for exchange:

1  : It will backup the transaction logs only and convert to .BKF Format
2  : Symantec supports Exchange incremental backups only if the job is executed with a policy.

Compression:
Backup Exec does not compress anything, it will take the help of the NTFS file system for compression

Hope this helps...

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

To clarify, incrementals if done using GRT would not be backed up into bkf file. We would backup data in its native format. So, point 1 mentioned in above post is not correct. So, when you use GRT backup to disk, all data is backed up in its native format and Granular information is built from it. No staging is done to any location.

Thanks