cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange backup failure

rob_o
Not applicable
Hey guys,

I'm a bit new to Backup Exec, however I am experiencing a few errors when we try to backup Exchange to disk.

Architecture:
MS Windows Server 2003 SP2 running Backup Exec 12 SP3
MS Windows Server 2008 SP1 running MS Exchange 2007

Backup- mailserver.local
V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open Fil...
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on...
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open Fil...
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on...

V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\mailserver.local\System?State". Advanced Open...
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Writer Name: COM+ Class Registration Database, Writer ID: {542DA469-D3E1-473C-9F4F-7847F01FC64F}, La...

Writer Name: Internet Information Services, Writer ID: {59B1F0CF-90EF-465F-9609-6CA8B2938366}, Last ...

Writer Name: Registry, Writer ID: {AFBAB4A2-367D-4D15-A586-71DBB18F8485}, Last error: 0x80042409, St...

Event viewer doesnt show any more information apart from what is there. We are NOT running AOFO, and Backup Exec has the Exchange module for backing up.

Every time I check the status of the writers on the Exchange server, they appear to be running and showing no errors.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

I've had this on a couple of occasions.
Symantec is going to suggest you install the latest service pack for your Backup Exec version. I'd suggest doing the same, and then pushing your RAWS agents out to the servers in question.
However, my fix was to remove the Exchange license key, restart the services, and then re-add them back before restarting the services again. I use BE 12.5. It seems as if the license key got corrupted somehow, but I could never pin-point.
The only other explanation was that this happened due to my temporary licenses expiring before I received my Exchange license key.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

I've had this on a couple of occasions.
Symantec is going to suggest you install the latest service pack for your Backup Exec version. I'd suggest doing the same, and then pushing your RAWS agents out to the servers in question.
However, my fix was to remove the Exchange license key, restart the services, and then re-add them back before restarting the services again. I use BE 12.5. It seems as if the license key got corrupted somehow, but I could never pin-point.
The only other explanation was that this happened due to my temporary licenses expiring before I received my Exchange license key.

SureNot
Level 3
I will suggest you the same way: remove agent from exchange server, remove license key, restart both servers, install license key and push the RAWS. It helped me 2 days ago.