cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange backups failing - Saying database is dismounted

Dominick_Labruz
Level 3
Im getting this error
One or more of the databases for this storage group are currently dismounted. This backup is incomplete. Make sure that all databases are mounted, and then resubmit the backup job.
I know my databases are not dismounted.
Exchange 2007
Server 2003 x64 SP2
Backup Exec 11d
Any suggestions?

Message Edited by Dominick Labruzzi on 10-31-2007 11:35 AM

Message Edited by Dominick Labruzzi on 10-31-2007 11:39 AM
23 REPLIES 23

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Uninstall HF22 from the media server then push the remote agent out to the Exchange server again, if remote.  Then try the backup again.

sandcor
Level 3
Did this fix your problem?  I'm having the same problem.

Ted_Blomberg
Level 2
I have the same problem, running Exchange 2007 with LCR enabled. I Uninstalled HF22, rebooted the media server and then pushed out the remote agent again. The problem remains.

Neil_Flanagan
Level 3
The file BEExchComponent2007.dll from Hotfix 22 (file version 11.0.7170.22) is faulty and causes this error.

This file gets installed if you either install Hotfix 22 or any Hotfix later than 22 (including Hotfix 24 which has recently appeared via LiveUpdate).

As far as I can see this happens even if you don't install 22 but do allow the 24 from LiveUpdate, even though 24 is not listed as patching BEExchComponent2007.dll, because this dll is part of the Remote Agent, and the Remote Agent is patched by one cumulative patch file (RAWS.msp or RAWS64EX.msp) which you push from the media server, so that although your media server may not have Hotfix 22, your Remote Agents do as soon as you install any patch later than 22. I admit this description of the patching mechanism is only a guess based on my attempts to fix my own server.

The way back is to uninstall all hotfixes 22 and later, uninstall the Remote Agent from the Exchange 2007 server and then reinstall the old Remote Agent. Then don't allow LiveUpdate to run until Symantec replaces Hotfix 22.

I also tried acquiring a BEExchComponent2007.dll from an x64 Remote Agent installation which had not yet had these patches, stopped the Remote Agent service on the Exchange 2007 computer, renamed the BEExchComponent2007.dll version 22, copied the old file in its place and restarted the service. Exchange backed up but the job was marked failed, supposedly because the Exchange server needed MAPI-CDO installing (it is already installed, but it looks like I have to reinstall it with the newer version released in August 2007).

I have to say Symantec is making a right mess of this.

sandcor
Level 3
I have all the hotfixes installed, including hotfix 22 and 24 on my media server.  I'm now able to backup Exchange 2007.  I removed the remote agent from the Exchange 2007 servers and installed the remote agent that came with the CD version 7170 I think, with no hotfixes.  I had to register the BEExchComponent2007.dll on the Exchange server for this to work.

Apparently there is no hotfix for the hotfix that broke Exchange 2007 backups.

Neil_Flanagan
Level 3
The hotfix 26 which appeared on LiveUpdate yesterday has replaced the BEExchange2007component.dll with a version 11.0.7170.26. The error about the store being dismounted has now gone.

However I still have this:
The job failed with the following error: To support individual mailbox message and folder restores from Information Store backups, you must download and install the Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects package version 06.05.7888 or later on the Exchange 2007 server. This package can be found on the Microsoft web site.

I can't clear this error, despite removing MAPI-CDO and reinstalling it from a freshly downloaded copy from Microsoft.

ESabo
Level 6
Neil are you sure that hotfix 26 fixes this issue.   Do you have the url to this hotfix 26?    I glad to see that Symantec is finally fixing this problem.      I had the same issue been wating for a fix for about 3 weeks.

ESabo
Level 6

Neil_Flanagan
Level 3
Hotfix 26 has definitely ended the database dismounted issue, but now I have this claim that MAPI/CDO must be installed. This only began after the hotfix 22 fiasco: Backup Exec knew that it was installed before that.

I have looked at http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/287937.htm. I have removed MAPI/CDO, rebooted, removed the Remote Agent, reinstalled MAPI/CDO for Exchange (freshly downloaded from Microsoft), reinstalled RAWS. I have checked that all the MAPI/CDO files are present and the correct version. And still it comes up with this "you must download and install the Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI client and Collaboration Data Objects package" message and marks the job failed.

It only throws this error at the end of verifying.

Does anyone know for what it is checking and how to satisfy it?

Roger_S
Level 3
Same problem, after installing Hotfix26 the backups work but restores doesn't. It's complaining about the MAPI and Collaboration Data Objects package, I have re-installed it (version 6.5.7940) several times, no luck. Has anybody found a solution?

Neil_Flanagan
Level 3
Since I posted above I have confirmed the MAPI CDO installation. I went though the Microsoft Exchange MAPI CDO MSI package and compared the files and registry settings specified to what was actually on the file system and in the registry. All files are present in their correct locations and correct versions and all registry entries are identical to those the installer is supposed to make. I also used regsvr32 on all the DLLs.

I now have to conclude that MAPI CDO for Exchange is correctly installed and that the fault is with Backup Exec somewhere.

Jay_Wilson
Level 3
Yep... Me Too.

I applied everything relating to these issues up to HF26 last night. The backups do run now but I am also getting the MAPI/CDO exception in the job log and can only see the "Logs" as a restore option from my First Storage Group. Oddly enough the Public Folders which are in the Second Storage Group can be individually selected for restore jobs. Uninstalling/Reinstalling the MAPI/CDO (v.06.05.7940) and bouncing the server several times had no affect.

NOT a good situation at all!! If I can't restore to individual mailboxes the backups are basically useless. My boss is CHAPPED!!

Symantec needs to make this a TOP priority!!

It has taken WAY too long to resolve this issue!!

Alan_M_
Level 2
I guess I will also bandwagon on to this thread.  I likewise have the same issues explained here after installing the aforementioned hotfixes.  I have submitted a support request to Symantec and, if you haven't already done so, would recommend others to do likewise.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease (I hope).

I am taking the word of those who already posted their attempted resolutions.  I installed the hotfixes prior to reading about the fallout from their installation.  I did NOT try the uninstall/re-install of the MAPI/CDO file as that attempt has already been unsuccessfully attempted.

If/when I hear back from Symantec, I will be sure to post their recommendations.

Teg_Badhan
Level 3
I had this issue too, and install HF 26, then pushed out the agent to the backup server again and all is ok now.

Jay_Wilson
Level 3
I have uninstalled and reinstalled both the agents and the MAPI/CDO in several different orders but it has not changed anything. I am still getting completely useless backups.

Symantec Support just keeps saying to do the same thing.

Is there anyone at Symantec that can fix this or should I just being looking for another backup suite that will actually do what it is supposed to do?

ewadmin
Level 4
Today I just saw yet another hotfix correcting the issue caused by hotfix 26.  It seems each new hotfix Symantec releases only causes new problems.  I have had three support tickets open with Symantec for three sites that I manage for my company for over a month.  The only one of my sites where backups consistently succeed (with some daily hand-holding), is my local site, which is a pre-SP1 installation of 11d 7170 up to HF14.

Even though I have some problems here, I am afraid of installing any updates past HF14 because my two remote sites, that were installed more recently, have SP1 and subsequent hotfixes, but have yet to complete more than one successful backup in a row. 

So my work-around in those sites, until Symantec can get all the bugs worked out of BE, is Windows' NTBackup.

Jay_Wilson
Level 3
ewadmin...

I'll be a guinea pig. I looked on Symantec's hotfix link and I don't see anything about fixing HF26 but if you'll send me a link to it I'll apply it and post the results.

I have to get something working or my head will be on the block.

ewadmin
Level 4
This article refers fixing the issue after applying Hotfix 24, not 26, but it is the same issue.  It is not an actual hotfix, but just a replacement for the beclass.dll file.  note: The 64- and 32-bit versions of this fix are the same file.

Roger_S
Level 3
The DLL fixes the problems with the backups, however the restores still doesn't work.

If I restore directly to the Storage Group Mailbox database it is complaining that it is unable to attach to the resource (the database can be overwritten by a restore),

If I restore to a recovery storage group it says Access Denied To Database. The user credentials are as they should be.