Exclude does not work in BackupExec 2012

Martinus-Apothe
Level 3

Hi.

We created a exclude rule for let's say "server_a"

Exclude:

resourcename: \\server_a.example-domain.local\C:

path: Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA

But our daily and weekly backup jobs still try to backup these folder. So the following exception still occurs:

Element \\server_a\C:\Programme\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf is in use - skipped.
Element \\server_a\C:\Programme\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\mastlog.ldf is in use - skipped.
Element \\server_a\C:\Programme\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\model.mdf is in use - skipped.
Element \\server_a\C:\Programme\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\modellog.ldf is in use - skipped.
Element \\server_a\C:\Programme\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\MSDBData.mdf is in use - skipped.
Element \\server_a\C:\Programme\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\MSDBLog.ldf is in use - skipped.

Why does the exclude not work? Andy thoughts on this?

Greetings!

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is strange that you are getting these error messages.  By right, .mdf and .ldf files are automatically excluded from any backup by AFE which means that even if you select them, they will not be backed up.  You don't have to do any excludes. Hence, the error messages should not occur.

I would suggest that you open a support case with Symantec for them to look at this problem.

HNeumann
Level 4

Hello,

is it a global exclusion or a Server exclusion? We also have Problems with global exclusions. It´s annoying...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Is this the system state part of the backup job or the file system part (drive letter)?

Either way as suggested by pkh I'd say this needs a formal support case

Martinus-Apothe
Level 3

It's a Server exclusion and yeah it's annoying :)

Martinus-Apothe
Level 3

Could you explain what you mean by AFE? I couldn't find anything on this option...