cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excluding Files from backup

ltjimster
Level 6

Hello,

I know how to exclude Files from Backup Exec 12.5, well i think  i've done it right, go into the properties of a scheduled job, Selections\include/exclude then put a path in, for example, \\servername\Dthen put in the file i want to exclude *.*exe.

I only seem to be able to do it for 1 job at a time. Can i do it for all of them at once I.E Global Exclusion or do i have to do it 1 by 1?

Plus is there any other files that anybody can think of that wouldn't be needed for students and staff in a secondary school?............ I've got EXE, TMP, BMP files at the moment, we really need to save space  :)

Thanks

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

Please click on link below this article will help you

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH29548

Thank You

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

Please click on link below this article will help you

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH29548

Thank You

ltjimster
Level 6

And that setting does it for all my backup jobs scheduled and not just new ones i make, yes?

Thanks

James

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi 

Thanks for your response 

That is right for all your backup including the scheduled one

If this clear your dout please mark this post as solved

Thank You

ltjimster
Level 6

Okey will do thanks very much :)

Just another quick question, when i put in the file i want to Exclude, do i put *.*exe or *.exe because it starts *.* as default when i go to fill in the file type and i've been putting *.*exe; *.*TMP if i wanted to add more than 1 file type, is that the right way?

Thanks

James

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

You will have to use *.exe or *.tmp

Thank You

ltjimster
Level 6

Okey dokey i've done that.

I'll see how it goes, it'll be after this weekend because that my next full backup is and that when i'll see the difference

Thanks

James

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you have more than one server with similar file structures or want to exclude all TMP files, you can also use wild cards in the path

Path \\*\*      (any computer\any share)

File  *.TMP    /subdir/exclude

See also http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38995

How to include or exclude a certain folder for all users using the wildcard characters (**) in Backup Exec 11.x and 12.x.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

Thanks for your reply & I will wait for your update on same

Thank You

ltjimster
Level 6

Sorry another question when i put these files i want exclude through tools\manage Selections\excludes, is it supposed to show in the detailed selection list in the scheduled job properties or is it just supposed to exclude them when the backup is running?

Thanks

James

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

It will be shown in detailed selection list so answer is yes

Thank You

ltjimster
Level 6

Okey well its not showning in the lists unless i added it manuallyno

I've gone to tools\manage selection lists\excludes and added as follows

By default is comes up like this;

Path: \\*\*

Files: *.*

So i've put this;

Path: \\servername\D:\

File: *.exe; *.tmp; *.bmp

and clicked ok and it doesn't show anything in the lists, is that right? I 've also tried closing backup Exec and stopping and starting the services again but still the same.

Thanks

James 

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

Can you confirm are the file excluded

Thank You

ltjimster
Level 6

The way i put it in the files have not appeared in the Selection detail list at all, after putting them into the Excludes in manage selection lists, So no.

If you do a backup with Exclusions, is there any indication that the have been excluded other than backup becoming smaller in size?

Thanks

James

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

So finally solution is when you create eclude globally those would not be shown in your respcetive schedule job but would exclude the items from those jobs but if you add manually then it would be for that repective job

I hpe this clear your dout & so exclude it globally & should work fine

Thank You

ltjimster
Level 6

thats right it doesnt show up in the job through manage selection lists in excludes but does appear when i do it manually.

Thanks

James

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Yes but when you do it manually it would be applicable only for that job so as I have checked again when you add it globally it will not be shown in your exisiting job but will certainly exclude the things excluded by you globally

So no need to add it manually

To see if the files have been excluded you can go to restore tab & check it & also decrease in the backup size also confirm the same

I hope this clear your dout now

Thank You

ltjimster
Level 6

right okey dokey i'm with you. Sorry abit of confusion there :)

I'll message you if it works.

Thanks

James

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Thank you  & appreciated

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi James

Any updates here , if issue is resolved can you please mark this solved

Appreciate your response on same