cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Media from Robotic Library with 11d

Drew_Henning
Level 4
I am having trouble exporting media from BackupExec 11d. We recently purchased a Dell ML6000 tape library and we need to get some of the media out of it.

When I select one the media slots and click export, it says the job completed successfully. But the media never moves from its original slot.

I am not able to move the media from the tape library interface because it says it being control by a remote application (ie - BackupExec)

How am I supposed to remove media from a tape library with 11d?
10 REPLIES 10

Shane_Vincent
Level 4
We have a HP tape library unit and the only way we can remove media is by first unlocking the device in Backup Exec and then manually ejecting the tapes by using the operator panel on the front of the unit.

I actually now shedule a 'unlock' job to run every morning before we get in, that way i can just go to the unit to eject the last nights tapes. :)

Tim_Burns
Level 2
We also have a HP Autoloader 1/8 tape library drive and have the same problem with 11d. Running the latest drivers and all but no joy.

Running Export Media takes about 20 minutes and says its successful, yet no tape pops out of the device.

Ticking Eject media after job completes works for our stand alone unit in another server running 11d, but doesnt work with the autoloader either.

So currently we have to put the autoloader into offline mode and manually export the tape, and manually load the next days tape - Which is far from ideal!

Is there some hidden setting I've missed? Or is it a bug in 11d?

Cheers :)

Shane_Vincent
Level 4
Hi Tim,
I have never been able to eject a tape from BackupExec not even in version 10, 10.1, were you ever able to do it in version 10?

Cheers SV

Tim_Burns
Level 2
Nah it didnt work in 10d either.

I upgraded it to 11d (although I havn't been able to get the new licenses from Symantec yet, so running in evaluation mode grrr) hoping it would fix it

Going to give HP StorageWorks Data Protector Express a go in the mean time

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

In order to resolve this issue, we would suggest you performing the
following steps:

1. Double click on the backup job to view its properties

2. Select device and media option

3. Select the option - "Eject media after job completes"

4. Click on OK to save the settings.

Thank You,

Shweta

Tim_Burns
Level 2
Hi thanks for your reply. I have tried this and it doesnt work either.

any other ideas???

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
One of the patches (there are three I believe) is for robotic libraries. If they fail, or have already failed, you could try the manufacturer device drivers.

Robert_Main
Level 3
We have a Dell PowerVault 132T and our daily policy consists of a full backup, then a duplicate and then export (the duplicate). When we were using version 10d this worked fine. Last weekend we upgraded to 11d and the backups and duplicates work fine. When it runs the export it says it completes successfully, but there is no tape on the export slot. If we manually run an export job it works. We have installed the syamntec drivers because at the present time Dell does not appear to have drivers for 11d.

Any ideas?

Bob

Drew_Henning
Level 4
I was able to get mine to export the media by using a policy.

You create a policy with backup settings, then you can associate an export job to the backup job.

It seems to work for me.

Robert_Main
Level 3
That where our export is, part of a policy. As I said it worked great with 10d, other than the fact that it took 20 minutes to complete and ALWAYS failed. Still it was at 3:30 AM so who cares?