cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failures of REMSRV.EXE on Exchange 2007 Server Computer

MincoService
Level 1

We are seeing failures of "REMSRV.EXE" being reported on our Exchange 2007 SP1 server computer (running under Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition x64 SP2). These failures began on the first backup following an upgrade we performed to our Backup Exec 11d media server and subsequent uninstallation and re-installation of the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems on the Exchange Server computer.

Background re: our media server and recent changes: Our Backup Exec 11d media server is running Windows Server 2003 SP2. On 2009-01-06, we installed Backup Exec 11d Service Pack 3 for build 7170 (after discovering that some Exchange mailboxes were not being backed-up seemingly randomly, and reading notes in the Symantec knowledge-base that led us to believe that this would resolve our issue).. Subsequently, we found that the BEUtility application would not open and install Hotfix 47 for Backup Exec 11d build 7170.

After installing the service pack and hotfix on our media server, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Remote Agent for Windows Systems on the Exchange Server computer. That evening, when our backup ran, the following event was logged twice (in quick succession-- less than 45 seconds apart) in the Application Event Log of the Exchange Server computer:

Source: Application Error

Category: (100)

Type: Error

Event Id: 1000

Description: Faulting application Remsrv.exe, version 1.0.0.34, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

The backups of Exchange do appear to be running properly (i.e. no failures reported in Backup Exec, though we have not attempted a test restore yet to verify that we are not receiving erroneous success notifications.

Searching the Symantec knowledge-base for "remsrv.exe", I come up with an article, document ID 297571, that relates to changes made to the default location of the "ProgramFilesDir" and "ProgramFilesDir (x86)" directories. These folders have not been relocated on this server computer.

The only instances of any "Application Error" events in this server's logs begin with the installation of the updated Remote Agent for Windows Systems. To date, there have been no stability issues with the Remote Agent for Windows Systems (or any other application) on this server computer. Backups and restores of Exchange data have functioned properly on this server computer in the past (with the exception of the randomly skipped mailboxes, as described above). No other changes were made to the computer besides the removal and installation of the Remote Agent for Windows Systems (no other updates were installed, etc). We have suspended updating this computer's operating system and Exchange software until this issue is resolved.

Could someone please advise as to how, if at all, we can alleviate these error messages?

(Edited to remove accidental emoticon. Why do these message boards even have emoticons?)

Message Edited by MincoService on 01-15-2009 02:04 PM
3 REPLIES 3

Maurice_Reed
Level 2
I too am running BE11d build7170 on Server 2003 with Excchange 2007 32bit tolls loaded. The backups of Exchange 2007 64bit running on Server 2008 64bit all appear to complete ok. We have GRT set and have overcome the problems of backing up to tape with GRT on etc etc. But, I too have these failures showing in the Application log on the E2K7 server.

The backup kicks off at 20:00 hrs and in the the log there are 3 occurrances of

Remsrv.exe 1.0.0.34 fail followed immediately by
Refactory.exe 11.0.7170.34 failing.

Anyone know what to do next?

The actual backup job completes with no errors and the job log shows it to have backed everything up ok.

Most odd.

Greentwig
Level 3
Hi all,

Any update or are people just living with this?

Sure the backup works, but it's far from tidy... if it's an ok error can we change it just to a warning?

I'm not to happy the errors are there and my reliability chart (Windows 2008) is going down because of this.

Roland

Greentwig
Level 3
bump