cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.

ServiceDesk2
Level 3

Hi All,

A user in our organisation had a problem which caused his mailbox to be empty. Now I want to restore his mail. When I create a restore job I got this message:

Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

My backup files are in a backup-to-disk folder. I can see them both in BackExec as in Windows Explorer on my backup server.

In Exchange 2007, on the public and database store, I enabled the option "This database can be overwritten by a restore"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ServiceDesk2
Level 3

Hi All,

my problem is solved! I have combined 2 tips and tricks from this forum.

The first step was the post form https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-usi....

The second step was the tip from Dev T:

Create a new account in AD named : symantec with following settings:
1  : Member of the Domain Admin group and Local Admin Group if Exchange is a member server
2  : Create a Mailbox for Symantec, send a test email and oprn it in OWA to activate the Mailbox.
3  : Make sure that the Mailbox is not hidden from the Global Address List.
4  : Add the account "symantec" as Exchange Server Administrator in Exchange Management Console.

Open Backup Exec, go to TOOLS--Logon Accounts and Change the Logon Account to "symantec", make sure that "system Logon Account" and "Default Logon Account" is symantec.

Now restore any individual item from exchange backups. 

I have implemeted a default backup account. This account had no mailbox. When I created a mailbox for this user the restore worked.

Thanks to you all!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

sammy_perfect
Level 5

Hi ,

1 As per your discussion your backup are on disk I will like to know BE verison & exchange verison & if exchange is remote computer to backup server & what exactly you are trying to restore single mailbox from mailbox database or or whole public folder database

Thank You

tech29
Level 6

Hi,

There may be number of issues for this.  Could you provide us the job log for this?

Regards,

tech29

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you had the GRT backup then you can restore the individual maibox and would be much faster as your backups are on disk. You can click on restore and check if you are able to see individual mailbox. If you see then select the one you want to restore and click on restore. If you don't want to restore it on the same mailbox then click on exchange and do the redirection to any other mailbox.

If your backups are not GRT then you have to restore the complete database on the RSG and use exmerge to extract it. You can check our KB to find out about RSG and exmerge.

This database can be overwritten by a restore should only be checked when you are doing the complete exchange restore to the original store.

So please verify what exactly you are doing otherwise you will end up corrupting your exchange.

ServiceDesk2
Level 3

Hi,

we use BackupExec 12.0 with te latest updates to backup Microsoft Exchange 2007 on mailbox level.

Both the servers BackupExec and Exchange 2007 are in the same subnet.

I want to restore a single mailbox from my back-up-to-disk folder into the live malbox database.

I tried this: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-usi... but no result.

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The unable to attach comes whe you don't have enought rights on the account. Please check the account that you are using should have below rights:

domain admin, exchange organization rights, unhidden from GAL, active mailbox and should be unique(first 5 character of that account should be unique)

Also make sure your system logon account for the BE is having the right credentials. You can check it by going to selection list of restore and click on resource credentials. Change the account to system logon account and check if it shows successfull.

sammy_perfect
Level 5

Hi ,

Thanks for the information

1 If BE is 12.0 & I presume it will be on sp5 with updates & if exchange 2007 is remote server then ensure remote agent on exchange server is upto date & is on same level as backup server

2 Second thin you can do is please ensure the account used by you to backup exchange 2007 as it own active mailbox & it should not be hidden from Global address list

3 Also ensure if exchnage 2007 is on win2008 then you need to add host file entry to tweak IPV6 on win2008 you can add host file in following way

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH86155

4 After updating the host file entry please restart remote agent service on exchange server & restart all BE services on backup server & run restore should work fine

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

1  : Member of the Domain Admin group and Local Admin Group if Exchange is a member server
2  : Create a Mailbox for Symantec, send a test email and oprn it in OWA to activate the Mailbox.
4  : Add the account "symantec" as Exchange Server Administrator in Exchange Management Console.

Open Backup Exec, go to TOOLS--Logon Accounts and Change the Logon Account to "symantec", make sure that "system Logon Account" and "Default Logon Account" is symantec.

Hope this helps...

Baltimore
Not applicable

I just stated getting this error?  Can anyone help?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@baltimore - you should start a new discussion for your problem.

ServiceDesk2
Level 3

Hi All,

my problem is solved! I have combined 2 tips and tricks from this forum.

The first step was the post form https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-usi....

The second step was the tip from Dev T:

I have implemeted a default backup account. This account had no mailbox. When I created a mailbox for this user the restore worked.

Thanks to you all!