cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Server restore with Backup Exec 12.5

gerardobrien
Level 2

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I have a 2003 server that died yesterday and after 2 days of trying to fix hardware issues with raid controller it looks like the disks have been currupted too.

I have replaced the disks with new ones and have them configured them for raid 5, however the server is blank.. no windows has been installed.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to do a complete restore of this server from the backup?

Do i have to do install server 2003 again, then the backup exec agent and run a full restore from there? or can i do it any other way?

We are using backup 12.5.

Thanks again for any help!

Gerard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gerardobrien
Level 2

Thanks guys for all the help..

I found the answer at http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH10837

u have completed everything and im now about to start the restore... quick question though..

step 11 says...

Click Run then restart remote server, i take it i restart the server when the restore has completed?

11. Click Run Now unless the computer being restored is the only domain controller in the domain or if the entire domain is being rebuilt and this is the first domain controller. Otherwise, perform the following additional steps:
  • From the Advanced tab, select Mark this server as the primary arbitrator for replication when restoring folders managed by the File Replication Service, or when restoring SYSVOL in System State
  • Click Run Now to start the restore
  • Reboot the remote computer 
The computer's operating system is now restored to its pre-disaster state. All data files have been restored, except those protected by Backup Exec database agents. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Use this - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH83015

AmolB

You will have to install same OS (same service packs too). Assign same name and IP address

to the server. Install remote agent and then proceed with the restore. Initially restore C drive and

then system state, once restore is done reboot server. After reboot restore remaining drives

Also make the changes mentioned in the below article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH62466

gerardobrien
Level 2

thanks for the replys guys!

im building the server now with same os.. so if i keep it the same name and ip, do i need to remove the old server from active directory?

thanks again

gerard

AmolB

Initially don't join the server to domain, once DR is done server will automatically be part of the domain.

gerardobrien
Level 2

Thanks guys for all the help..

I found the answer at http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH10837

u have completed everything and im now about to start the restore... quick question though..

step 11 says...

Click Run then restart remote server, i take it i restart the server when the restore has completed?

11. Click Run Now unless the computer being restored is the only domain controller in the domain or if the entire domain is being rebuilt and this is the first domain controller. Otherwise, perform the following additional steps:
  • From the Advanced tab, select Mark this server as the primary arbitrator for replication when restoring folders managed by the File Replication Service, or when restoring SYSVOL in System State
  • Click Run Now to start the restore
  • Reboot the remote computer 
The computer's operating system is now restored to its pre-disaster state. All data files have been restored, except those protected by Backup Exec database agents. 

AmolB

Ignore the steps mentioned in Step 11 if the server being restored is not a Domain controller.