cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fundamental management of media sets

juliank
Level 3

I'm pretty new to the whole backup solution configuration, I've been selected to build an easy backup solution from the ground up.

We're using LTO4 tapes and we're looking at about a week's worth of data on a single tape for the most part, including the Full and Differentials.

My thought was to retain our needed data for 1 month offsite.  We fortunately do not have a great need for data retention.

Anyway to the point.

I currently have configured for each of our servers a full backup scheduled to run every Friday evening.  These are B2D with a duplication to tape.

Saturday to Thursday then I have differentials configured which also run as B2D and then duplication to tape.  Thursday after the final differential is written the tape is ejected and then taken off site.

I have tapes set with an overwite protection period of 4 weeks and an append period to 174 Hours, just in case someone is unable to remove the tape prior to the next backup firing at that point.

The full backups are no big deal, I set those B2D media sets to an overwrite protection period of 2 days (we do full backups daily on our SQL and Exchange servers which are duplicated to that same tape as well so I want to keep 2 B2D versions in case our tape device fails and it gives me time before a previous full is overwritten), I have that configured the way I want it.

My long winded question is how should I set the Overwrite protection period and Append periods for the B2D Differentials with this sort of backup scheme?  I want to keep B2D media at a minimum basically while making sure that B2D media is overwritten with the new Differntials every week.

If you don't understand or think I'm crazy feel free to say so :)

0 REPLIES 0