cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Issues

hongevo
Level 3

Hi

I have 2 clients both using Backup Exec 12 for Windows, and both showing the same...problem?

The backup jobs themselves are failrly small for a full backup - around 65GB for one company and around 90GB for the other.

When I first started doing backups, the jobs would complete within ~1hr tops. However, over the past few months, some jobs ahve jumped to incredibly stupid times to complete, like 60hrs +.

Each daily backup is just a full backup, so all jobs from Mon-Fri are identical. I cant see how some are like 47 mins and then the next will be 50hrs+. They complete as successful in both cases.

Why is this and how can I fix it? 

5 REPLIES 5

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

I assume the jobs are both local, or are they backing up remote servers? First impression is that you may have installed a patch (maybe automatically) on both systems and that is causing a problem.

If you have a client with a support contract, I would give them a call, or try upgrading and patching version 12.5.

hongevo
Level 3

I always try to keep them updated via LiveUpdate, but it seems ramdon in occurence. Its not just these 2 companies (Iv seen many more in the last 4 or so years) but these 2 are the current ones.

Literally one day will take 47 mins. Next day (nothing new installed on the servers etc, just data) it will take 50hrs for a few days, then go back down to normal time by itself.

Both companies also backup a another server, but the time the backups run for both are 11pm, and the network is quiet anyhow. Both on 1Gb links through the switch, (just a basic managed layer 2 switch).

Puzzled to say the least, its been bugging me for some time!

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

Look at the log and see if there is one section that is causing the slowdown, or if it is spread out over the whole backup. More than likely, there is one portion of the backup job that is not running right. That may point you in the right direction.

If it is spread out, there is another choice, which I also discounted since you said it was two locations, but the only time I have seen similar behavior was when the hardware was failing. This may or may not be your case, but I mention this for anyone who reads this in the future. You should run the manufacturer's diagnostic program for the hardware.

Wellsoft
Level 4

1. Is Exchange involved?

2. Are Terminal services/applications involved?

3. When are the full virus scans running?

hongevo
Level 3

Exchange is involved, although the store on each scenario is local to the backup server. Looking at the logs each section is taking a reasonable amount of time, but the total is waay more.

VS's are running at a different time, so not that :(