cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Access to EDB Files from Store Backups

Eric_Weintraub
Level 3
I am trying to restore a store backup from a agent store backup of exchange. But when I try to restore to "Recovery Storage Group" I get an error.

After looking at the error on the kb it tells me I am out of luck since the backup was taken with VSS.

I never asked for the backup to use VSS. What do I do now? Do I have to create a new exchange server and redirect the backup? All I need are a few contacts from a users folder.
7 REPLIES 7

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
That stinks! You'd think when creating the job a warning pop-up would indicate the risk of doing snapshot backups. There are pop-ups for much less harmless things.
It's not really clear what benefit the exchange snapshot backup provides over the regular exchange agent backup.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

If backups were done using snapshot they cannot be recovered using RSG. Please refer the following technotes for additional information.
Title:
How to back up Microsoft SQL and Exchange with Backup Exec 10.0 using Microsoft Shadow Copy Services
http://support.veritas.com/docs/268040

Title:
Restore of Exchange 2003 mailbox store to a Recovery Storage Group fails with error "Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted."
http://support.veritas.com/docs/275586

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Eric_Weintraub
Level 3
Not for nothing but you didnt tell me how to fix it, you pointed me to the kb artlicles I have already read.

Now I NEVER asked for VSS backups, I was using your agent like I have since version 7 of BE. In fact I dont have the "Use Advanced Open File Option" checked so it shouldnt be using.

Please tell me what I can do not what I can not.

Thank you.

Eric_Weintraub
Level 3
ok, looking closer at the problem I do NOT think my backups are using VSS, but I do get the following error:

Job ended: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 at 11:56:47
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000ff00 - Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted. Use the Exchange System Manager to dismount the databases, and then retry the job.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65280Message was edited by:
Eric Weintraub

Eric_Weintraub
Level 3
Can someone from support please answer my question?

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please paste your backup job log here.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Eric_Weintraub
Level 3
Family Name: "Media created 9/20/2005 18:30:01"
Backup of "\\EXCLUSTER1\Microsoft Information Store\Restricted "
Backup set #18 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "FNB03 - Exchange Stores"
Backup Type: Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
Microsoft Exchange Server Agent: Started

Backup started on 9/21/2005 at 03:35:15.

Backup Set Detail Information

Backup completed on 9/21/2005 at 04:08:22.

Backup Set Summary
Backed up 2 Exchange Server stores
Backed up 3 Exchange Server logs
Processed 26,469,442,636 bytes in 33 minutes and 7 seconds.
Throughput rate: 762 MB/min