Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP LTO4 library cannot be unlocked from BE

Alexandre_Miche
Level 4
Partner
Hi all,

I am posting this question again after posting it in the Installation forum, but not having much luck with a solution there:

I have a few clients with HP LTO4 tape libraries all using Backup Exec V12. All are working well except for one where I don't seem to be able to control the library.

The main issue I have is that I cannot unlock the library to swap tapes. Any jobs to unlock the library or eject tape will failed after 15 minutes with this error:
Error category    : Job Errors
Error             : e00081d9 - The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding

The Alerts tab also show this error:
Unlock Library 00006 -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding. with a link to V-79-57344-33241

The only way to unlock the library is to powercycle it which is a real non-sense
  • They are using BE V12 Rev 1364 on SBS (Small Business Server) 2003 SP1
  • They were previously using a VXA2 library with BE V9.1
  • I did an in-place upgrade of BE when we installed LTO4 Tape Library (HP StorageWorks MSL2024).
  • Using Symantec drivers
  • Ran Symantec LiveUpdate & up to date
  • When I first used the new LTO4 library with BE 12, I got a warning that BE for SBS only allowed one library. I deleted the VXA library from BE (and now inly the VXA tape drive appears in BE), but I notice that both libraries are still present in the registry & in the Windows device drivers.
  • Apart from this unlocking issue, the backups are running well. The tapes in the library are recognised by barcode ID, they are used appropriately, etc...
  • I tried to do an inventory today, but the job does not even start. It just sits in the job queue.
Any suggestion on how to resolve this?

Thank you 

Alexandre
2 REPLIES 2

Alexandre_Miche
Level 4
Partner
Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestion? I am really frustrated with thsi issue...

Alexandre

Alexandre_Miche
Level 4
Partner