cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP RDX, eject not working; RDXmon 1.26 or newer, but from where?

RS
Level 3

Facts:

- Backup Exec 12 SP1 with current updates

- HP RDX (AJ768A) external

- HP RDX 320 GB media (Q2041A)

- Latest firmware (2032)

- RDXmon 1.18 (Windows service)

- Windows SBS 2003 R2 with current updates

The eject button does not have any effect.

RDXmon is installed.

RDXUtility reports no diagnostic errors.

My first problem is that the Backup Exec 12 hardware compatibility list says the RDXmon 1.26 or newer is required, however, HP has no trace of RDXmon. 

The hardware compatibility list for Backup Exec:

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/294294.pdf

Where can I find the latest version of the RDXmon service?

7 REPLIES 7

R_H_2
Level 5

There should be a version number on the CD that you installed the software from.  That is the version that they are referring to.  I believe HP is shipping 1.30.

There are several pieces to that software with different version numbers.  The 1.18 of the RDXmon service is the OK.

FYI: The eject button won't work if you have a file or something open on the drive.  Also try the right click/Eject function  on the drive letter in explorer.

Also be sure it is set up as a removable backup to disk folder, not a regular backup to disk forlder.

RS
Level 3

Thanks for the troubleshooting tips.

The HP RDX is in the Removable Backup-to-Disk Folders category.

1.18 is the version of RDXmon that comes on the installastion CD.  The HP website has no update or mention of this software, and so far, HP support has not been able to help me find the version Symantec has in their HCL, and that's why I'm trying here.

Locked files can be a problem, yes, but the only application that has any configured use for this drive, is Backup Exec, but its eject function has no effect either.

I have also tried the eject function in Windows Explorer, so I assume this must be a problem with RDXmon, the software specifically designed to handle the eject function.  I was hoping 1.26 or newer would handle whatever the problem is, but since no one seems to know where it is, I have a problem. :)

R_H_2
Level 5

I'm sorry.  My reply wasn't very clear.

The number in the HCL refers to the RDX software suite version. It doesn't refer to the actual version of the RDXmon service.

There is likely a 1.30 printed somewhere on the CD that came with the unit.  You should have the latest version of software available at this time.

Does an eject after a backup or through the devices tab work?

Message Edited by R H on 11-24-2008 08:30 AM

RS
Level 3

I'll have to check this the next time I'm at the site.

Just so we're not talking past each other, the HCL specifically says "Third party software RDXmon v1.26 (or newer) is required to operate this device with Backup Exec."  The information in the HCL is therefore incorrect.

The eject function in Backup Exec did not succeed either.

I've configured Backup Exec to eject the media after the job completes and will come back to this thread tomorrow.

RS
Level 3

The cartridge was not ejected automatically.

Backup Exec repeated Attention Required in Alerts:

"

Type: Attention Required

Category: Media Remove

Message: Please remove the media from the drive, and Respond OK.

"

This means that Backup Exec assumedly couldn't communicate the eject command to the device, and may not fully support it.

I will ask that a normal eject is attempted tomorrow.  It could be that Backup Exec releases some lock on the drive then?

I may also configure the Media Remove alert to clear itself in 1 minute, as there is no reason why the user should bother to enter Backup Exec Alerts and click OK every day, or for the message to fill the log.  I'll wait with this.

PS: There is an antivirus solution on the server (NOD32), but it has the entire drive excluded from real-time scanning.

MiKeDaDoC
Not applicable
Partner

Hello,

the Problem may not be the RDXMon Service. I had the same effect with an internal SATA RDX drive form Tandberg. The Problem is that I assumed that the folks who set up the HP Server in which I installed it with the Windows 2003 Server OS would have installed all drivers. Big mistake:

The Intel INF Utility for Serverboards was not installed, so in the device manager there were listed "Standard PCI-to-PCI Bridge","Standard EIDE Controller" etc. I installed the INF Update, all drivers changed to its coresponding Names (including usb...!!) and the Eject function of the RDX worked like a charm.

So maybe you check if your drivers are ok...

RS
Level 3

At first glance, HP does not provide any INF files for this server.

At second glance, Intel provides different versions of this utility.

Anyway.  I will look into this.  Thanks.