cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Ultrium 448 and BackupExec 10.0 FAILS

G_ran_Karlsson
Level 3
Partner
I now have two customers with the same error. Both are running BackupExec build 5520 on HP DL380G4, HP´s own U320 SCSI-card and Ultrium LTO2 448 external rackmount 1U drive. Operating system Windows Server 2003.

Backup goes fast for 60-99%, but suddenly slows down, stops and stands still for 10-60 minutes and then fails.

Is there any incompability issue here? I´m running the HP tape device driver because veritas driver is much older (I have downloaded and installed the tape driver package, but it doesn´t change driver).

Eventlog says this::
-----------------
Adamm Mover Error: Write Position Failure!
Error = ERROR_IO_DEVICE
Drive = "HP 1"
{3B6B019C-4036-49A3-8B91-25F14D21D8C6}
Media = "LTO000003"
{7BCCDDE5-885E-47C0-9883-010C9653F2E3}
Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)
Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1)

Storage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

Backup Exec Alert: Tape Alert Warning
(Server: "BLA-PRG-SV01") (Job: "Vardagar") Warning - Media statistics have been lost some time in the past.
Robotic Library:
Drive: HP 1
Slot:

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "BLA-PRG-SV01") (Job: "Vardagar") Vardagar -- The job failed with the following error: A hardware error occurred.
--------------------------
8 REPLIES 8

Paul_Yip
Level 4
i would try HP's LTT tools and run the tests on those drives.

G_ran_Karlsson
Level 3
Partner
Already done that, no problems there.
Also upgraded from firmware S22D to S24D. Same problem.

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hello Göran,

You might want to check the compatibility lists.

Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers Robotic Library Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) (includes tested drives)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274348

Backup Exec 10.x for Windows Servers Standalone Drive Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274347

If the device is tested, we recommend you install the Veritas drivers, otherwise you should install the latest drivers from HP.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

N_Bailie
Level 2
Hi,

I'm having problems with the same hardware, although not exactly the same issue. With my system the backup seems to sit for 10 - 15 mins at the start saying 'backup scan' and then will start. Once the backup reaches about 90% I get an error message saying the media statistics on the device have been lost! Sometimes when I schedule a job it will not start with a status no idle devices are available and I have to reboot or reinstall the device to get the job to run.

Are there known issues with Backup Exec 10 and Ultrium 448 drives?

G_ran_Karlsson
Level 3
Partner
Hi, I also get the error message you mentioned, about media statistics. I have talked to HP, they are sending me a new LSI U320 SCSI-card today. But I don´t think it´s the card, we´ll see...

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Thanks for the update please keep us updated.

Regards,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

G_ran_Karlsson
Level 3
Partner
Hello again,
I have talked to HP support, they said that our hardware configuration is fully supported. But we keep getting trouble at 2 customers, both with HP Ultrium 448 and BE10.
HP did send out another SCSI-card just in case, after changing the backup job ran OK for 2 days but this morning it had failed at 34GB of 200 GB:

Here you got every error message:

BACKUP EXEC LOG:
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- \\BLA-PRG-CX01\Shadow?Copy?Components \\BLA-PRG-CX01\Shadow?Copy?ComponentsStorage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported:
The device is not connected.
V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

Error reported:
V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

WINDOWS SERVER 2003 APPLICATION LOG
Time: 23:00:21
Source: BackupExec
Event ID: 65313
Backup Exec Alert: Tape Alert Warning
(Server: "BLA-PRG-SV01") (Job: "Vardagar") Warning - Media statistics have been lost some time in the past.
Robotic Library:
Drive: HP 1
Slot:

Time: 23:31:29
Event ID: 33152
Adamm Mover Error: Write Failure!
Error = ERROR_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED
Drive = "HP 1"
{5C0747BA-1319-480B-B373-274CA2964390}
Media = "LTO000006"
{6D5E36FD-F546-404E-A9AF-E7BD30C58476}

Time: 23:31:40
Event ID: 57665

Error reported:

Time: 23:32:57
Event ID: 33152
Adamm Mover Error: Unload Status Retry!
Error = ERROR_NOT_READY
Drive = "HP 1"
{5C0747BA-1319-480B-B373-274CA2964390}
Media = "LTO000006"
{6D5E36FD-F546-404E-A9AF-E7BD30C58476}

Time: 23:33:14
Event ID: 34113
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "BLA-PRG-SV01") (Job: "Vardagar") Vardagar -- The job failed with the following error: An unknown error has occurred.

WINDOWS SERVER 2003 SYSTEM LOG

Time: 23:31:40
Source: halvinchVRTS
Event ID: 15
The device, \Device\Tape0, is not ready for access yet.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Time: 23:32:11
Source: Symmpi
Event ID: 9
The device, \Device\Scsi\symmpi1, did not respond within the timeout period.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Time: 23:32:12
Source: Storage Agents
Event ID: 1192
SCSI Tape Drive Status Change.
The tape drive with SCSI target 3 connected to SCSI bus 1 of the controller in slot 1 has a new status of 5.
(Tape drive status values: 1=other, 2=ok, 3=failed, 5=offline, 6=missingWasOk, 7=missingWasFailed, 8=missingWasOffline)

Time: 23:34:12
Source: Storage Agents
Event ID: 1192
SCSI Tape Drive Status Change.
The tape drive with SCSI target 3 connected to SCSI bus 1 of the controller in slot 1 has a new status of 2.
(Tape drive status values: 1=other, 2=ok, 3=failed, 5=offline, 6=missingWasOk, 7=missingWasFailed, 8=missingWasOffline)

What to do now? I have to get this solved. Poking around in this forum, there seems to be other people having slightly the same problem (Media statistics, unknown error).

/Göran K

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Göran,

Since You are getting event ID 9 and also 15, the issue seems to be due to hardware problem. Heres a Microsoft document which describes how event Id 9 can be controlled:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154690/en-us

Also try out the following:

1. If a driver update is available for the tape device or the controller, try installing it
2. If a firmware update is available for the tape device or the controller, try installing it

3. Try the drive or controller card on another system

4. Do not use RAID or embedded controllers

You could also refer to the following article:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

Hope it helps!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.