cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Failing Backup Jobs

Nigel_Robson
Level 3
if i set off a backup job when i leave work it starts fine and seems to run okay. when i come in in the morning, the tape has ejected. when i open up the software, the job monitor says 'Loading Media' even if it says 'running' the night before.

if i look in the alerts i see a green one that 'Please insert overwritable media into the drive.' i know this is overwritable tape

Any ideas

thanks, Nigel
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sounds like the tape is filling up.

What kind of drive do you have, what kind of media are you using, how much data has been writen to the tape before it ejects?

Remember that 2:1 compression is a marketing thing, not an engineering thing ( See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm ). I usually figure about 1.3:1 as a Rule of Thumb, so a 20/40 system I would expect to get about 26-27 GB

Nigel_Robson
Level 3
we are using a dell powervault 110T with super dlt tapes 160/320 GB. we have the overwrite first setting on the tapes so dont think they will be filling up. this was working 2 weeks ago perfectly, then all of a sudden, it breaks, we were backing up 236GB with no probs

if i look through the servers event logs i can see this message appeating every 30 mins or so

"Please remove the media from the drive, and Respond OK."

thanks

Nigel

Nigel_Robson
Level 3
okay, the tapes were running out of space, thansk for everyones help

Nigel

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

As your issue is resolved please let us know if we can mark this thread as assumed answered.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.