cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Out A Newbie (Samba Backups Query)

cmase
Level 2

Hi,

Bit of a newbie here but been asked by someone higher up to investigate the possibility of something.

We currently have Backup Exec 2010 installed on a server (2008 standard). We have a Backup-to-Disk folder on that server which is getting full up on a weekly basis and we are having to manually remove the older files in order for our backup jobs to run properly.

We also have a seperate server running Ubuntu that currently has no interaction with our Backup Server or Backup exec itself. My boss has asked me to investigate the possibility of moving the files from this Backup-to-Disk folder onto this server running Ubuntu. There is much more space on this Ubuntu server and we'd be a lot less hands-on with these files in regards to having to delete them as they keep halting our backup jobs. His exact question was this:

Can you investigate how we can use a shared network (Samba) drive as space for backups made via Backup Exec? 

I gather I'm probably not giving enough information etc. and apologise in advance if this is the case. I've been given this task and figured this may be the best place to get some information for it. Is what my boss is asking possible? If so, is it a simple task to do?

Thanks

cmase

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@cmase -

On the Devices tab, define a new B2D folder and then specify the UNC path of the Samba share.  Make sure that the BESA has full read and write permissions for the entire share.  After that, you can target your jobs to this new B2D folder.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

It is possible

Can be done using  UNC path like \\hostnname\sharename configured as a user defined selection.

*To backup over UNC path you will need a remote agent license installed on the media server
* The Backup Exec Service Account must have access to the share

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Can be done using  UNC path like \\hostnname\sharename configured as a user defined selection.

This is for backing up the share.  The user is backing TO the share

*To backup over UNC path you will need a remote agent license installed on the media server

No. A licence is not necessary when you backup TO a remote server/device, but is needed when you backup FROM a remote server/device

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@cmase -

On the Devices tab, define a new B2D folder and then specify the UNC path of the Samba share.  Make sure that the BESA has full read and write permissions for the entire share.  After that, you can target your jobs to this new B2D folder.

cmase
Level 2

Thanks for all your input guys, we've now got this working as required :)